[System 6] [RaSCSI] [SOLVED] CD ROM support

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I'm trying to load a CD ROM image using RaSCSI. I don't care about special extra features such as playing a CD audio, I'm mainly after loading up a volume in a cd image format, containing Mac HFS data. Which exact driver will let me do this?

Sometimes, the drivers you can find on Mac Garden list that System 6 is supported, but oftentimes, the check that validates this is just verifying that a bonus control app opens without crashing. I need a verified suggestion that a cd like say, Oregon Trail v1.2 opens up under System 6 and you can peruse the mac data files in it.

This is not a very beaten path, I'm finding and I may have to fall back on doing this for System 7.1. Or, am I forced to go a little higher to 7.5.3 to avoid headaches?

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
No matter what already made HDA file that allegedly works for mac plus, I mount it, boot with it but can't copy even small files to it. It just freezes at the midpoint. I can't bring the patched CDROM extension to @Mac84 HDA file he shared on Macintosh Garden here:

Using the same image in my BlueSCSI:
boots + copies files to it just fine.
Using 6.0.8 with the patched 5.3.1 apple cd-rom driver - doesn't load up my iso.
Using 7.0.1, also doesn't work.

Last edited:

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Summary: of CD loading capabilities

Mac Plus:
BlueSCSI NAY..
RaSCSI NAY..

Mac SE/30:
BlueSCSI NAY..
RaSCSI YAY!

Mac Plus:
Accumulating lists of tests on BlueSCSI:
RapidCD installs in System 7.0.1, boots but silently doesn't mount CD10_Oregontrail.iso.
Apple CDROM driver (patched) 5.3.1 lets System 7.1.1 boot but silently doesn't mount CD10_Oregontrail.iso.

Accumulating list of tests on RaSCSI:
Apple CDROM driver (patched) 5.3.1 won't copy to my HDA at all
Apple CDROM driver (patched) 5.4.2 won't copy to my HDA at all
Random games taken from dsk images from my FloppyEmu won't copy to my HDA at all

Mac SE/30 (incoming after edits):
BlueSCSI:
Physical hard disk ID0 (boots from it), System 7.5.5 has Apple CDROM driver 5.3.1
CD10_Oregontrail.iso won't mount
HD20_silverlining hda
HD40_another silverlining hda

After installing RapidCD (which disables Apple CDROM driver):
still doesn't mount CD10, shows this:
1663853593188.png

RaSCSI:
Physical hard disk ID0 (boots from it), System 7.5.5 has RapidCD
Mounts just fine, can eject discs, receive new ones in real time, PERFECT.

Last edited:

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
The oregon "cd" I had comes from mac garden and is instead an .img file (inside a sit inside a bin) - I forgot about that. RaSCSI seems to pad the file just right to still treat it as a CD. Thanks to @eric for sorting this out on the Blue/RaSCSI discord server.

The archive.org 600 mb hybrid DOS/Mac .bin + .cue pair doesn't seem to be liked either (but to be fair, that's not the simplest use case...)

However, trying out a very known good simple .iso image, the Apple CD recovery Oct 1999 worked on my SE/30 w/ BlueSCSI! YES

AND on the mac Plus, for the very first time, I have a CD Image mounted (since RaSCSI and the Plus absolutely play badly together in my experience, no matter what HDA image I use...)
1663856374942.png

Updated status:

Mac Plus:
BlueSCSI YAY!
RaSCSI NAY..

Mac SE/30:
BlueSCSI YAY!
RaSCSI YAY!

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I copied over the exact HDA that was working 100% in my BlueSCSI to my RaSCSI (not the first time I do something like this in the last months)
and 'lo and behold, with the Apple Recovery CD, since I had a verifyable win, it mounts in RaSCSI!

so:

CDROM mounting tests:

Mac Plus:
BlueSCSI YAY!
RaSCSI YAY(1)

Mac SE/30:
BlueSCSI YAY!
RaSCSI YAY!

(1) still freezes when I copy anything to the HDA

1663860343468.png

it hangs near the mid point during any copy of any file from any source (CD image, dsk from FloppyEMU, etc). I can't exit out of this dialog, but I can move the cursor and see it moving.

I'm back to seeking a proper HDA file that doesn't act weird under normal operations via my RaSCSI on my Plus. I made a thread about it: