The 17" WUXGA PowerBook G4

netsrot39

New Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2022
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and initially posted about my PowerBook G4 display mod on the MacRumors Forums but I thought that the topic might be of interest here too. The thing is I've recently fulfilled one of my vintage Mac dreams which was to own a full HD PowerBook G4 17". You may be asking yourself how is this even possible when the PowerBook G4 17" A1139 aka the HiRes and DLSD model is the one with the highest resolution available (1680x1050). Well, you're right, this would be the PowerBook G4 17" with the highest resolution you can get officially but with a little tinkering you can even put in a 1920x1200 (WUXGA) panel in a wide variety of PowerBook G4s 17". The one I had on hand and was willing to do this upgrade on is an A1085 (2004 model) but it should work with pretty much all PowerBook G4 17" models. Below you will find a picture of the finished product.

IMG_2591.JPG

A screenshot of "About this Mac", "System Profiler" and "System Settings" (in German but you get the idea)

Bild 1.png

Why is this possible? It is due to the fact that all PowerBook G4s 17" use a standard 30pin LVDS connection which make them compatible with many 17" panels out there. I put an LG Philips LP171WU1(TL)(A1) in mine and it is a perfect fit. Brightness controls work and the panel runs at full resolution. From a previous test I know that the LG Philips LP171WU1(TL)(B2) would also work without any problems. Below another picture showing the panel screwed into the frame of the display assembly.

IMG_2580.JPG

Would I advise anyone to do this kind of upgrade? Yes, I would but a word of caution here, it is time-consuming and not too straight forward if you have never swapped the panel in a PowerBook G4 17". The display assembly is tightly held together with metal clips that are difficult to unlatch. Moreover the panel is glued to the frame of the display assembly so you have to cut out the old panel very carefully. Once you managed to take apart the display assembly I'd suggest this modification so that further panel upgrades / repairs / swaps are a breeze. Another thing to keep in mind is that the CCFL cable of most of the panels will not line up perfectly with the display assembly. Don't get me wrong it can still be done but pay attention to route the CCFL carefully so it won't get pinched. Also never forget to transfer the sleep magnet which I almost did haha. In short, if you also want to do this make sure you do it on your day off as the upgrade will take many hours of work.

Was it worth it? In my opinion yes, I now have a 2004 PowerBook G4 17" with a full HD display which allows me to do way more stuff at once on the screen. It is a pretty significant upgrade from the previous 1440x900 panel and I love the glossy display on a PowerBook G4 which by the way is also something that Apple never offered if I recall correctly. For watching movies it is probably overkill since the G4 is too weak to properly play 1080p videos but whatever ... I'm very content with the end result and perhaps I am even the first one to have done a upgrade like this on a PowerBook G4 17" (at least I haven't found anything similar to this on the web). Please tell me what you think about my mod ;)

netsrot39

New Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2022
Very cool. I totally want to do this now. :D What did the replacement 17" phillips panel run you?

Go for it ;) I've been using the WUXGA PowerBook for a few days now and I fell in love with the glossy 16:10 display. Regarding the costs of the panel, I paid about 50€ (about 56 USD) for mine when I include shipping (which was about 10€). I don't know if those older LG WUXGA CCFL panels can be had for much less where you live but where I live they usually go for that price. I bought mine second hand but I actually found a seller who has them in stock brand new but for double the price. Since I really didn't want to put too much money into a machine that old, I went for the used one and I'm glad I got a panel that is still in very good condition and where the backlight isn't faint :D

fxgogo

New Tinkerer
Mar 8, 2022
That looks amazing. I bet you will get quite a few curious looks in a coffee shop with that screen in a classic Mac form factor.

netsrot39

New Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2022
That looks amazing. I bet you will get quite a few curious looks in a coffee shop with that screen in a classic Mac form factor.

I have yet to take the machine to a coffe shop. The lack of a reasonable battery capacity is the main issue here 🥲

Oooohhhh, would this also be possible on the 15” models? I picked up a DLSD 15” recently and would love to upgrade the resolution further if possible.

I would think so but the hard part is finding a 15.2" WUXGA panel that has CCFL backlighting. The most high resolution I was able to find is WXGA (which the PowerBook G4 15" DLSD already has). I do not think that PowerBooks have firmware locks in place when it comes to upgrading LCDs. Why do I think that? A couple of weeks ago I wanted to test a 15" LCD panel and I had another disassembled 17" PowerBook G4 lying around that I used for testing. Lo and behold it actually worked. Of course putting a 15" screen on a 17" machine is not practical by any means but for testing my 15" panel it worked great. My takeaway is that as long as the pin count of the socket of the panel matches the LVDS cable and it is CCFL backlit any LCD panel should work.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Well, finding a 15" compatible panel shouldn't be an issue anymore because I just got an example of the 17" variant of the DLSD in from Mercari today! Even though the stock display is really nice already, I'm really temped to go for the upgrade anyway. I'll have to look at a disassembly guide first though, I've done my fair share of tricky repairs, but I really don't want to scuff or bend anything because mine is in really good shape.

Reactions: netsrot39

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Still haven't modded my 17", both price on the LCD panel and a fear of damaging my mint display assembly in the process...
What I'm wondering though is what the 12 inch G4s used. They look like nice machines, but having the same screen resolution as a 12" iBook G4 makes them little better than that in my view. I wonder if you could fit an SXGA+ (1260x1024) or even a 1600x1200 panel in it. That would be the ultimate ultraportable PPC system for sure! 17 inch is by far my favorite, but it isn't exactly easy to cart around without it getting banged up.