The Adventures of a Timid Tinkerer aka LC475 upgrades

yock1960

Tinkerer
Mar 24, 2022
The two MC88196DW80 chips that I ordered from Utsource, finally arrived yesterday afternoon. I didn't jump right on it...why rush?! This morning however, I got the board out and insulated all of the plastic parts, so as not to melt them. Then I took a break, to wait for a slight headache that I woke up with to go away.

After an hour or so, I got tired of waiting...the headache was mostly gone. I fired up the hot air rework station and successfully removed the MC88920...but wait...dang, I disturbed the two tiny zero ohm resistors that are right next to it...DOH!

No time to panic...I can fix it...I think. They sure are tiny though and if I somehow would drop one, would probably never find it!

After a bit of futzing around, I finally got them 'stuck' back on...phew!

I'll take a break now...headache is back and I need to calm my nerves for the next steps!

Reactions: alxlab

yock1960

Tinkerer
Mar 24, 2022
HOLY CRAP, IT BOOTED!!!! 😱😁

Or, as Adrian Black would say, "it works, it freakin works!"!

So, as I said in my previous post, I really would rather not have to do that again! But if I had to, I would not try to drag solder the new clock generator chip!

After I cleaned off the pads, put some flux on and placed the new chip on the pads, I tacked opposite corners (legs). So far, so good. Then it went downhill. I tried to drag solder the side closest to the cpu. I got bridging. I tried putting on fresh flux, I cleaned the flux off and refluxed...nothing I did dragging helped. It's just so crowded and hard to access...especially for a newbie like me! Eventually, by doing one leg at a time, I got rid of the bridges. Then I did the opposite side one leg at a time. After that, I cleaned with IPA and checked continuity from pad to leg and from leg to leg to make sure it beeped when it should and not when it shouldn't.

I am glad that's over! Now it's time to see how far I can overclock with my 80ns VRAM. Then to decide if it's worth buying faster, since apparently I will now be limited by my 'high' esr capacitors vs. OS-CON capacitors.

Reactions: pfuentes69

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
HOLY CRAP, IT BOOTED!!!! 😱😁

Or, as Adrian Black would say, "it works, it freakin works!"!

So, as I said in my previous post, I really would rather not have to do that again! But if I had to, I would not try to drag solder the new clock generator chip!

After I cleaned off the pads, put some flux on and placed the new chip on the pads, I tacked opposite corners (legs). So far, so good. Then it went downhill. I tried to drag solder the side closest to the cpu. I got bridging. I tried putting on fresh flux, I cleaned the flux off and refluxed...nothing I did dragging helped. It's just so crowded and hard to access...especially for a newbie like me! Eventually, by doing one leg at a time, I got rid of the bridges. Then I did the opposite side one leg at a time. After that, I cleaned with IPA and checked continuity from pad to leg and from leg to leg to make sure it beeped when it should and not when it shouldn't.

I am glad that's over! Now it's time to see how far I can overclock with my 80ns VRAM. Then to decide if it's worth buying faster, since apparently I will now be limited by my 'high' esr capacitors vs. OS-CON capacitors.
Did you use the LC040 or the 040 with the FPU, also was this the guide you followed?

yock1960

Tinkerer
Mar 24, 2022
Did you use the LC040 or the 040 with the FPU, also was this the guide you followed?
I have a full 68040 that I got off Ebay. No, I bought the Spicy O'clock overclocking gizmo. Here's the link:

It only supports a handful of models, fortunately the LC475 is one.

yock1960

Tinkerer
Mar 24, 2022
Hooray! 🥳

Thanks to another thread, I think I have solved my problem, using both SCSI2SD and BlueSCSI on the same computer. I swapped the BlueSCSI out and installed the SCSI2SD a few weeks ago on my LC475. Copying all of the files over worked fine. Lately though, when trying to copy files from the BlueSCSI to SCSI2SD, it always failed. After a minute or so of copying, the machine would freeze.

Of course (hindsight 😑😄), termination was the issue. Termination is a software setting on SCSI2SD, but good old fashioned terminating resistors on BlueSCSI. I was over terminated. After disabling termination on SCSI2SD, everything works! I just have to remember to re-enable termination on SCSI2SD, when I'm finished copying files...better make a sticky note for that...I forgot the very 1st time, DOH!

Now I can use my BlueSCSI as a sneaker net device, something it excels at. It'll normally be used on a Mac Plus, but unplug, swap sdcards and presto!