The black Mac no one asked for (Powermac G3 All-In-One Molar)

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
IMG_1905.jpeg

So, I had picked up a pair of G3 AIO machines recently. Unfortunately on one the right side of the case was badly scratched with terrible black marks. On the other, the left panel had damage. So I took the two good sides, retro-brighted them and took the best internal parts and made a good stock unit.

For the bad panels, I didn't feel like I could get a great finish with retrobrighting , so I used the paint I had used to match my Mac TV that was missing a mouse. I used a DupliColor Flat Black Vinyl and Carpet Paint (https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-...nce-Fabric/dp/B00098PO3G?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1). I removed all the transparent pieces (volume control, Power LED light tunnel, and CD eject button, as well as the transparent Apple logos from the sides. This required cutting the melted plastic pegs that were holding them in place. I then painted all the panels (inside and outside because I wasn't sure how it would show through the translucent top. After painting, I reinstalled all the translucent pieces using hot glue to hold in place. We'll see how well it holds up, but I didn't want to use super clue in case I decided to paint all the translucent pieces if I didn't like the look.

Finally, I wanted to make sure it had the model label with white text on black. I ended up using a Brother D610BT label maker. I created the label in Pixelmator Pro using Apple Garamond Light font, turned into an image with white text on a black background. I then added the image to the label in the iPrint&Label app, took a couple tries printing to get the sizing right. Once I had it, I cut it to the size of the model badge location. I also used a sharpie on the cut edges of the label, which showed white, so that you wouldn't see the white border around the sticker.

All said, I think it looks a lot better than the banged up case would have, even if I had given it a good cleaning.

So, the question is, is it still the ugliest Mac ever made?

IMG_1909.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1910.jpeg

akator

New Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2023
Agreed, that looks good. It might even looks better than the original, I think the black and translucent look better than the beige. (I know, sacrilege.)

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Agreed, that looks good. It might even looks better than the original, I think the black and translucent look better than the beige. (I know, sacrilege.)
Yeah, I was worried the black would really make the yellowing in of the translucent parts stand out (versus the beige making it look whiter), but it actually isn't too bad. If it was pristine white translucent, I think it would look really good. Overall, I'm happy with it. I'll need to get a family picture of the Mac TV, my Black PowerMac 5500, the black Molar, and my black MacBook.

Reactions: eric

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
I feel like blue with the translucent would look better. Might make it look like a high(er) end version of the iMac

Reactions: wottle
View attachment 14381

So, I had picked up a pair of G3 AIO machines recently. Unfortunately on one the right side of the case was badly scratched with terrible black marks. On the other, the left panel had damage. So I took the two good sides, retro-brighted them and took the best internal parts and made a good stock unit.

For the bad panels, I didn't feel like I could get a great finish with retrobrighting , so I used the paint I had used to match my Mac TV that was missing a mouse. I used a DupliColor Flat Black Vinyl and Carpet Paint (https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-...nce-Fabric/dp/B00098PO3G?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1). I removed all the transparent pieces (volume control, Power LED light tunnel, and CD eject button, as well as the transparent Apple logos from the sides. This required cutting the melted plastic pegs that were holding them in place. I then painted all the panels (inside and outside because I wasn't sure how it would show through the translucent top. After painting, I reinstalled all the translucent pieces using hot glue to hold in place. We'll see how well it holds up, but I didn't want to use super clue in case I decided to paint all the translucent pieces if I didn't like the look.

Finally, I wanted to make sure it had the model label with white text on black. I ended up using a Brother D610BT label maker. I created the label in Pixelmator Pro using Apple Garamond Light font, turned into an image with white text on a black background. I then added the image to the label in the iPrint&Label app, took a couple tries printing to get the sizing right. Once I had it, I cut it to the size of the model badge location. I also used a sharpie on the cut edges of the label, which showed white, so that you wouldn't see the white border around the sticker.

All said, I think it looks a lot better than the banged up case would have, even if I had given it a good cleaning.

So, the question is, is it still the ugliest Mac ever made?

View attachment 14382View attachment 14383View attachment 14384
Ebony & Ivory!

Reactions: wottle