Thinkpad 240X

seeyasoon

New Tinkerer
Sep 29, 2024
I have a Thinkpad 240X running P3 500MHz, std 40GB 5400 RPM HD and 64MB memory on motherboard and 256MB SDRAM in slot 2 total 320. Also running windows XP with update 3. The system is a turtle but I wasn't expecting much more. I do have more modern system to fill the performance gap. The questions I have is can I upgrade to a 500GB SSD drive and up to 10GB on the memory? I also would like to run Windows 10 64 bit and any thoughts on a Wifi adapter or card? Your thoughts please.
I know it's an old system but would like to increase the specs and use it for a few more good years.

Thank you so much,
Frank​

Anden Selmani

New Tinkerer
Sep 28, 2022
Albania
Hello My Friend!

No, you cannot! That is a very old computer.

You may be able to upgrading the disk to 500GB SSD drive and running windows 7 at the most but it will be very hurtfully slow.

You can add 128MB SDRAM SODIMM at most. Wifi will be slow too! But you can use CardBus slot to install wifi. Maybe not supporting WPA2 :unsure:

My advise: increase memory with 128MB SDRAM SODIMM and downgrade OS to Win-2000, then use for old tasks!

Or maybe I would be interest in buying it if for sale :LOL:

seeyasoon

New Tinkerer
Sep 29, 2024
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your suggestions and opinions.

I wasn't expecting the system to have similar or anything close to the performance of todays laptops. I was hoping to see some performance gains with the SSD drive and increase in memory. I currently am running a total of 320 MB's memory and was checking on the availably of 4 to 10 GB of SDRAM chips. Do you think Windows 7 or 2000 is best for this vintage system and at 32 or 64 if the option is available? Lastly, since most current web browser are not supported on anything under Windows 10... which one do you think would work the best on my application?

Your time is greatly appreciated.

I think I'll pass on your purchase interest.... for now.

Frank