This will help you get MacintoshGarden files from your Mac via ftp

MacOfAllTrades

Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2022
Hey all,
I hope this is the right forum for this - please correct / delete me if I'm wrong.

Since I got my blueSCSI v2 with wifi running I've wanted to get files from Mac garden directly from my SE/30.

FrogFind isn't enough to help me navigate either Macintosh Garden or Macintosh repository (not FrogFind's fault, it's this old Netscape browser that can't parse the download links I believe..

Anyway I used FileZilla on my modern Mac to get a listing of the 3 main folders of stuff on MacintoshGarden's ftp site. See 3 files attached to this post.

Use your modern computer and a text editor to "Find..." the file you're looking for. Yes, you're searching through text strings of filenames here so don't expect search-friendliness but usually you can navigate to what you want.
I wanted to get an FTP server called Rumpus on my SE/30 so I did the following:

On my modern Mac:
A. Opened garden_apps.txt
B. Did a find for rumpus. This found the one I wanted as:
/Garden/apps/Rumpus1.3c1.sit

On my SE/30:
  1. Open Fetch FTP
  2. Connect to:
    repo1.macintoshgarden.org
    Use credentials as listed on macintoshgarden's FTP page (user: macgarden. password: publicdl)
  3. Once connected, click on the Get File... button
  4. Enter the path from the string you found up in step B, above. In this case:
    /Garden/apps/Rumpus1.3c1.sit
  5. Hit OK
  6. Watch your download go. Fetch auto opens it.
  7. Enjoy.

EDITED post with updated attachments to remove some extra text that bloated the file and slowed down the Finding. Especially if you're adventurous enough to do the Find.. on your vintage Mac. This reduces the file sizes nearly in half.

Attachments

• garden_apps.txt
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • garden_games.txt
    983.9 KB · Views: 71
  • garden_manuals.txt
    359.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Hi, new to Macintosh Garden. Could you be kind enough to tell me what I should be putting in for path by default it shows / in fetch but I don’t see anything

MacOfAllTrades

Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2022
Hi, new to Macintosh Garden. Could you be kind enough to tell me what I should be putting in for path by default it shows / in fetch but I don’t see anything
try
/Garden/
Though it has worked for me before just leaving it as /
It should automatically find the lowest directory.

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks for the quick reply I tried /Garden/ and / again received this message

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
Reactions: adamgracrrgv

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Double checked matches. Yes internet working can get on frogfind for example IP address in TCP/IP.
Guess I could try another FTP application

bedroom

New Tinkerer
Apr 27, 2023
hi! maybe a dead thread, but it's worth a shot anyway. i've been trying to do this on a macintosh plus, which might be a bad idea, but does fetch make you hit ok a few times before it finally agrees to "get" the file? i'm in the process of "getting" the macwrite disk image, which seems to be working? but i don't really have any sort of confirmation beside the little running dog. the status does read "getting file".

MacOfAllTrades

Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2022
hi! maybe a dead thread, but it's worth a shot anyway. i've been trying to do this on a macintosh plus, which might be a bad idea, but does fetch make you hit ok a few times before it finally agrees to "get" the file? i'm in the process of "getting" the macwrite disk image, which seems to be working? but i don't really have any sort of confirmation beside the little running dog. the status does read "getting file".
It’s probably working! I don’t remember the multiple OK details but I don’t think it ever takes deceptively long to fail so you’re prob good.

bedroom

New Tinkerer
Apr 27, 2023
It’s probably working! I don’t remember the multiple OK details but I don’t think it ever takes deceptively long to fail so you’re prob good.
i couldnt get it :( i tried a few times but it failed due to lost connections and a "broken pipe" error at some point. probably what i get for trying using a plus

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
i couldnt get it :( i tried a few times but it failed due to lost connections and a "broken pipe" error at some point. probably what i get for trying using a plus
You could also try against the secondary FTP, see if it's the same or different,
The hostname and credentials differ a bit, as well as the base path (/Garden/ does not exist).

Hostname: ftp.macintosh.garden
Username: mirror
Password: mirror

bedroom

New Tinkerer
Apr 27, 2023
You could also try against the secondary FTP, see if it's the same or different,
The hostname and credentials differ a bit, as well as the base path (/Garden/ does not exist).

Hostname: ftp.macintosh.garden
Username: mirror
Password: mirror
I'll give it a go right now and report back! I'm hoping it works this time, I'd love to be able to finally use Fetch.

bedroom

New Tinkerer
Apr 27, 2023
I'm giving it a try in System 6 this time. Got the usual slew of errors (link to server lost, PORT successful, downloading in ASCII something or other) and am now waiting patiently. I'll try the ftp server if this fails.