Two AppleColor RGB Monitors with issues

alexADB

Tinkerer
Jun 22, 2023
Bavaria
Hi, i have two AppleColor RGB Monitors with issues:
First is the older Revision with a fair Image but it is rotated a bit. Could not find a way how to adjust that. Anybody knows how to adjust the rotation?

second is the later revision which worked very well. Had to disassemble it for retrobright and put it onto a chair for the time being. Unfortunately it dropped from the chair and landed on the front glass. I dissembled it further and found that some of the connectors got loose. Fixed them. But since that event the picture has some yellowish discoloration on the right side. Somehow a bit smeary, missing sharpness and a slight shadow. All on the right side. Any ideas what that could be and if that can be rescued?

thanks in advance for any ideas,
Alex

Last edited:

dgveedubbus89

New Tinkerer
Jun 11, 2024
Homestead, FL
Hi, i have two AppleColor RGB Monitors with issues:
First is the older Revision with a fair Image but it is rotated a bit. Could not find a way how to adjust that. Anybody knows how to adjust the rotation?

second is the later revision which worked very well. Had to disassemble it for retrobright and put it onto a chair for the time being. Unfortunately it dropped from the chair and landed on the front glass. I dissembled it further and found that some of the connectors got loose. Fixed them. But since that event the picture has some yellowish discoloration on the right side. Somehow a bit smeary, missing sharpness and a slight shadow. All on the right side. Any ideas what that could be and if that can be rescued?

thanks in advance for any ideas,
Alex
Rotation can normally be adjusted by loosening the clamp securing the deflection coil on the neck of the CRT with the monitor powered off. Once loose, power on the monitor, avoiding touching the metal wires on the deflection coil, rotating it via the outer plastic ring until the image is correct. Please use caution as to only touch the plastic ring on the defection coil as you can hurt yourself if done improperly. I believe that is the only way to rotate the image.

The one that fell on its screen, you could have dislodged the aperture grill inside the tube and that will cause discoloration and unfortunately has no fix. The aperture grill sits inside the tube which is sealed and under vacuum so it can't be fixed. This discoloration is sometimes confused with a degauss issue as they look similar but using a degauss wand will not fix your issue.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: alexADB

alexADB

Tinkerer
Jun 22, 2023
Bavaria
Thank you so much for your reply! I will try my best to fix the rotation. Sad to hear, that the other monitor is probably unrepairable.