Ultimate Bolognese Sauce

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I know, I know, them's is fighting words! But, i stand by this method. Pics coming soon, will edit the thread when I have some.

Ingredients:
  • Knorr Beef Stock Pot x 2
  • 500g Minced Beef - 10 or 12% fat - just not 20, or 5 - that's too fatty/lean respectively.
  • One large red onion (for a sweeter taste, and less 'raw')
  • One large, or two small carrots
  • Two sticks celery
  • 4 cloves of garlic, or garlic powder, or garlic paste - whatever works for you.
  • Two tins quality tomatoes - I recommend these: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-cherry-tomatoes--taste-the-difference-400g
  • Tomato Puree
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Black Pepper
  • Salt
  • Tagliatelle (because bolognese should never be made with spaghetti - always use dried pasta when possible)
  • Pecorino Cheese
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
Method:

First - slice/chop the onion, carrot and celery - add to a pan with a glug of olive oil - chop up as small as you can, and put on a nice high heat so it sautee's. Always add the garlic after the onion has softened, so it gets absorbed by it, else it just sits on the surface and does little for the flavour. Use as much garlic as you like - i typically use half a bulb worth, or a level dessertspoon of granules/powder/paste. Stir In.

Turn the heat down, then add a teaspoon of tomato puree and the two cans of tomatoes and simmer. Add a teaspoon of sugar for a little added sweetness if you like less acidity. Add oregano and basil to taste, and leave to simmer on one side.

Take another pan, like a heavy bottom cast iron, or the best you can get, and add a large knob of butter and a glug of oil to the pan, melt the butter. Turn the heat all the way up. The oil stops the butter from burning. Add the mince, crumble it in. while browning the mince, season to taste with salt and pepper, you can add some parsley and garlic to lift it a bit if desired. Once water starts to be released from the mince, add the beef stock pot..err..wobbles(?) and then add a little water to stop it burning, stir all the way through - you should add enough water a little at a time you end up almost with a thick gravy.

Turn off the heat and then add the meat to the veggies and tomatoes. Stir in thoroughly. The beef stock pots give the sauce depth of flavour, and help to thicken it. You can experiment with using just one stock pot if you prefer. Add a handful of grated pecorino cheese to the sauce (yes, add the cheese in - trust me), simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, which gives you enough time to cook the pasta.

Always use dried tagliatelle - flat, ribbon pasta is what you should use for bolognese sauce, rather than spaghetti - linguine and spaghetti are too thin, and you can't 'catch' the sauce on it.

Remember - Always, always salt your pasta water!

When you drain the pasta, don't drain off all the pasta water, add a little bit to the sauce (your preference how much you use, but don't go overboard), and stir in - the starch rich water will make the sauce smooth and velvety.

Toss the pasta with a little butter or olive oil, serve and then add the sauce and garnish with as much pecorino as you like. I mean, if someone asks 'How much cheese do you want on that?' just reply with '...yes.'

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Excellent. After many, many trials, I also ended up using more or less the same recipe.
My twist: the herbs. I do not use basil and oregano (which work magic with tomato sauce), instead I use rosemary and sage, optionally thyme, which all work well with meat.
One trick is to roll and tie them up with some cotton thread, in such a way you can remove them all at once, before the small leaves got loose and spread all around the sauce.

Thumbs up for the tagliatelle, _the_ pasta to use.

As for the pecorino cheese, it’s hard not to love it. I personally do.
However, sometimes it tends to be overpowering. Parmigiano Reggiano is sweeter.

Finally, a trivia: “spaghetti bolognese” is not Italian, it’s a kind of foreign attribution, a merge of (Italian?) “spaghetti” (btw, not so sure that noodles are actually italian) and “ragù alla bolognese” (ragù: Italian spelling of French “ragout”, by which in Italy we call meat sauce) and “alla Bolognese”, which of course means “the way it’s done in Bologna”. There are other recipes, for example the “ragù alla napoletana“, and so on…
Anyhow, as with almost everything when it comes to food, the best recipe is the one you like the most!

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Very nice. Loves me some Bolognese & hearing everyones variation on a classic. Here’s my go to method!

Brown meat, cook veg till translucent
—————————-
10/90 ground/minced beef
ground/minced pork
Mirepoix
Fresh garlic, thin sliced

Add paste & wine and cook until paste begins to stick on pot
——————————
Tomato paste
Red wine

Add crushed tomato, purée, beef stock & herbs & mix. The herbs go black through cooking. (If you don’t want that, mince & put your herbs in cheese cloth (make a sachet or bouquet garni) & tie that off on the pot handle so you can retrieve it after cooking but before service.)
——————————
Crushed tomato
Tomato sauce (puree)
Beef stock/broth/base
Herb Melange (basil, Oregano, thyme, parsley)

Taste for acidity & salt & adjust. Use a high quality salt (my go tos are himalayan pink or French grey) & a neutral sugar to round out the acidity w/o making it sweet -balance.
——————————
Sugar
Salt

Finish the sauce with a big fat dollop of unsweetened butter. As a matter of method, this is how I finish most all tomato sauces. For added velvety goodness, consider a few ounces of heavy cream & 1/4C finely grated pecorino.
—————————
Butter
optional
Cream
Pecorino/Romano/Parmesan

Sauce cooking time - give it a good hour at least to pull the flavors together before finishing. Serve in/on over your preferred pasta. I agree on the Tagliatelle. Others I like are farfalle, gemelli & penne especially if this will go back into the oven al forno. Yes, reserve some pasta water. It adds flavor, bolsters texture & helps the sauce to hold onto the pasta.

Italian food is proof god loves us & wants us to be happy.

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Work was slow, so I read up on the history of French (and Italian) Cuisine. Looks like the Medici Myth has been thoroughly debunked. Very interesting to read about those who developed, documented and codified so may schools of cuisine and spread them to other countries.Wikipedia level though it may have been, very fascinating.