What forum should I post in about old WordPerfect?

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
I don't see anything exactly right, but I thought I'd try here.

When I got my current (dying) computer, ages ago, I had to look around for the antiquated WP5.1 DOS for it.

I was thinking, when I get my new computer, instead of simply transferring everything from the old into the new - considering that I've had occasional glitches in the past, I thought I'd do better to start fresh. But where does one go for something like that these days? And would it come as a disk or what? First time around was so long about that it was on 3.5 floppies.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
Okay. Thanks. I see it.
But - excuse my ignorance - what is that? Does it mean I can get it for free?
And I'd need an internet connection, then, right? I'm trying to get it into a computer that wouldn't be hooked up to the internet.

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
You can get it for free.

It's a 7z archive file which contains a series of disk images.

Those disk images must then be written to physical floppy disks and installed to your old, offline PC.

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Okay. Thanks. I see it.
But - excuse my ignorance - what is that? Does it mean I can get it for free?
And I'd need an internet connection, then, right? I'm trying to get it into a computer that wouldn't be hooked up to the internet.
As @YMK says, you can get it for free. That page has a number of different download options for the same (WordPerfect 5.1) software. Mostly English versions, but a few other languages too, and some from 5.25-inch others for 3.5-inch floppy images. Just pick the version best suited to your needs, and download that on your internet connected computer.

After that, you will need to copy the images to appropriate floppy disks which can then be used on your old PC to install the software on it.

If you take the last of the list of available downloads as an example, it's WP 5.1+ (3-21-94) (3.5) and will result in a 5.6Mb download which when extracted, gives you all 10 of the WP 3.5-inch (720K) floppy images. So you'd need 10 floppy disks. For each one, copy the contents of the .img file to it's floppy, name the floppy as it is shown, and when done, you should then be able to insert the 'Install' floppy you made, and run the install.exe file on your PC.

Follow the instructions on screen, switching disks as it requires, and you'll have a copy of WordPerfect 5.1 ready to use.

It might appear complicated, but it really isn't. This is how I got WordPerfect (in my case, v5.0 because I prefer it) onto my DOS computers.

It is also possible that you could find someone to create the disk set for you, but you'd probably need to send them a set of blank disks to use, or pay them for a set.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
@Webecedarian do you have access to a computer that has access to the internet, a floppy drive and disks ? You will need all of them. Based on prior conversations i suspect you don't.

You can buy used Wordperfect from eBay. I did a search and found lots of results. YMMV. But that might be a way to go. No gurrentees that the disks you buy from ebay will work. but i bet they would.

p.s. for anybody wondering about my tone. Its because in another thread Webecedarian was very clear in stating they didn't want to learn new things. So i'm trying to be accommodating for that. Normally i just assume everybody on this forum likes learning new things....

Last edited:

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
That's fair enough, though if @Webecedarian can tell us what PC it is he wants WordPerfect to be installed on, it may be that someone here can help with a set of install floppy disks. I could probably do 720 or 1.44 3.5-inch, but I don't have the means to do 5.25-inch.

Reactions: Patrick

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
@Webecedarian do you have access to a computer that has access to the internet, a floppy drive and disks ? You will need all of them. Based on prior conversations i suspect you don't.

You can buy used Wordperfect from eBay. I did a search and found lots of results. YMMV. But that might be a way to go. No gurrentees that the disks you buy from ebay will work. but i bet they would.

p.s. for anybody wondering about my tone. Its because in another thread Webecedarian was very clear in stating they didn't want to learn new things. So i'm trying to be accommodating for that. Normally i just assume everybody on this forum likes learning new things....

I'm sorry that this ends up being so piecemeal. It's not that I "don't want to learn new things." I learn new things all the time. But I'm not in a position to suddenly become a techie. I'm not going to become a gourmet chef just because I want to get a great haute-cuisine dinner, either. I have a floppy drive and disks, but not internet. When my present computer was assembled, years ago, I think I bought the WP5.1 via a forum, and it arrived on 3.5 floppies, which were then loaded into the computer.

The problem is that I had someone who was going to shepherd this whole thing, and I was asking around to see if I could do some of the groundwork, like calling around to stores, to ease his burden, even though he's an expert and clearly I'm not. But he had been ill, and stopped returning my my calls, and I have no way of finding out what happened to him. A month or two ago, I kept calling and was horribly embarrassed to find he'd been hospitalized.

The idea is that I'd like to find someone who could step in here in Phoenix, as this pro was about to do. I wish forums like these had directories of who's where. So, the idea was that this pro was going to cart the computer off, once I bought it, and install whatever was needed. There's a little repair shop that's been fine, but I don't know how much expertise is required, and if they're up to it.

Hope that's some help in terms of clarification?

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
The computers that you mentioned in your other threads are certainly internet-capable. The question would be whether or not you have any internet connection in your house? I assume you're messaging from a mobile phone - do you have home WiFi or just a cellular connection?

If you can get your new computer online, you can go download the software for free online and then set it up. The download would be in the format of floppy disk image files. You can think of these like a floppy disk on a file. You would need a program that can write these disk image files to a set of floppy disks - a program called WinImage can do this.

I understand that this may sound complicated, but it really is much easier than it sounds. You definitely don't have to be anywhere close to an expert to do these things. If you run into something that you don't understand during the process, you can also always do a google search for your problem, or for a guide on what you're trying to do. There's almost always something out there and they're usually pretty beginner friendly for the sorts of things you need to do.

That's all if you can connect your new computer to the internet though. If not, it still wouldn't be very difficult.

You can still install WordPerfect through the same method described above, you'd just need another method of getting the floppy disk image files onto your computer. Here's a quick guide on how you could do that:

1. Go out to a local computer store, like a Best Buy and get yourself a USB Flash Drive (also known as a memory stick or a thumb drive).
2. Get access to a computer with internet access. Your local library will likely have some that you could use.
3. Download the floppy disk images for WordPerfect. I'd recommend getting them from here: https://archive.org/download/word-p...S (5.1) (1990-12) (3.5''-720KB) [English].zip
(Above is a direct download link)
4. It will download a ZIP file. A ZIP file is like a folder, but compressed to save disk space. You will have to extract the files from the ZIP folder. You can do this on Windows by right clicking on the ZIP file and then clicking extract from the menu.
5. It will extract a bunch of .img files, which are the floppy disk image files.
6. Copy these files from the library computer (or other computer with internet access) onto your USB drive that you bought.
7. Download WinImage from here: http://america.winimage.com/download/winima81.exe, and also copy it to your USB drive.
8. Go back home and plug the USB drive into your new home computer. From here, you can run the setup program for WinImage in order to install it to your computer. You should be able to get through the installer on your own.
9. Now you're ready to write the disk image files to a real floppy disk. Here's a guide on how to use WinImage to do that if you need help with that: https://www.izcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/How_To_Make_Floppy_Disk_with_Winimage.pdf
10. Once you've written all your WordPerfectdisks, you can insert the first install disk and then install WordPerfect off of floppy disk.

This here is very important though: That version of WordPerfect will only work on MS-DOS-based Windows (Windows 95, 98, or Me). If your new computer is not running one of these Operating Systems, and is instead running something like Windows XP, 7, 10, etc., WordPerfect will not work.
Make sure that when you get your new computer, that it is configured properly to run DOS software.

You can also use emulation programs, such as DOSBox, on newer Windows versions. DOSBox is a software program that pretends to be a computer running MS-DOS, allowing you to run DOS software on newer computers, but you'd have to learn how to use it first, and it's a bit more complicated then using real hardware.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Really though, it may just be time to migrate to newer software, like Microsoft Office which you mentioned earlier. It will run much better on newer computers.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
@Webecedarian do you have one of these? USB Floppy Drive, available now on the market (amazon, computer stores, etc)
1692015877503.png

Any modern computer with a USB port can now read and write these high density (1.4 mb) floppy disks. It's a great, simple way to send not-too-big stuff to a vintage computer that can also read/write to these HD disks. Word Perfect 5.1 would fit the bill by not being too big.

However, if your vintage computer is limited to the low density kind (720 kb), then the situation becomes a whole lot more complicated.

But we need more info about your gear in order to help you.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
@Mu0n He doesn't currently have a computer with USB. in the other thread he is asking for help on getting a computer that HAS usb.

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
That's fair enough, though if @Webecedarian can tell us what PC it is he wants WordPerfect to be installed on, it may be that someone here can help with a set of install floppy disks. I could probably do 720 or 1.44 3.5-inch, but I don't have the means to do 5.25-inch.
I haven't bought the computer yet.

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
The computers that you mentioned in your other threads are certainly internet-capable. The question would be whether or not you have any internet connection in your house? I assume you're messaging from a mobile phone - do you have home WiFi or just a cellular connection?

If you can get your new computer online, you can go download the software for free online and then set it up. The download would be in the format of floppy disk image files. You can think of these like a floppy disk on a file. You would need a program that can write these disk image files to a set of floppy disks - a program called WinImage can do this.

I understand that this may sound complicated, but it really is much easier than it sounds. You definitely don't have to be anywhere close to an expert to do these things. If you run into something that you don't understand during the process, you can also always do a google search for your problem, or for a guide on what you're trying to do. There's almost always something out there and they're usually pretty beginner friendly for the sorts of things you need to do.

That's all if you can connect your new computer to the internet though. If not, it still wouldn't be very difficult.

You can still install WordPerfect through the same method described above, you'd just need another method of getting the floppy disk image files onto your computer. Here's a quick guide on how you could do that:

1. Go out to a local computer store, like a Best Buy and get yourself a USB Flash Drive (also known as a memory stick or a thumb drive).
2. Get access to a computer with internet access. Your local library will likely have some that you could use.
3. Download the floppy disk images for WordPerfect. I'd recommend getting them from here: https://archive.org/download/word-perfect-5.1-for-dos-5.1-1990-12-3.5-720-kb-english/WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS (5.1) (1990-12) (3.5''-720KB) [English].zip
(Above is a direct download link)
4. It will download a ZIP file. A ZIP file is like a folder, but compressed to save disk space. You will have to extract the files from the ZIP folder. You can do this on Windows by right clicking on the ZIP file and then clicking extract from the menu.
5. It will extract a bunch of .img files, which are the floppy disk image files.
6. Copy these files from the library computer (or other computer with internet access) onto your USB drive that you bought.
7. Download WinImage from here: http://america.winimage.com/download/winima81.exe, and also copy it to your USB drive.
8. Go back home and plug the USB drive into your new home computer. From here, you can run the setup program for WinImage in order to install it to your computer. You should be able to get through the installer on your own.
9. Now you're ready to write the disk image files to a real floppy disk. Here's a guide on how to use WinImage to do that if you need help with that: https://www.izcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/How_To_Make_Floppy_Disk_with_Winimage.pdf
10. Once you've written all your WordPerfectdisks, you can insert the first install disk and then install WordPerfect off of floppy disk.

This here is very important though: That version of WordPerfect will only work on MS-DOS-based Windows (Windows 95, 98, or Me). If your new computer is not running one of these Operating Systems, and is instead running something like Windows XP, 7, 10, etc., WordPerfect will not work.
Make sure that when you get your new computer, that it is configured properly to run DOS software.

You can also use emulation programs, such as DOSBox, on newer Windows versions. DOSBox is a software program that pretends to be a computer running MS-DOS, allowing you to run DOS software on newer computers, but you'd have to learn how to use it first, and it's a bit more complicated then using real hardware.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Really though, it may just be time to migrate to newer software, like Microsoft Office which you mentioned earlier. It will run much better on newer computers.

You are so kind to go on at such length. Let me see if I can answer a few things.

No internet at home, and no plans at present to have internet at home. I'm using the computer basically like a souped-up typewriter, for text only. Yes, I'd like to have Word, but I have to say that the old WordPerfect DOS is what a prefer for my own use, as it's so simple and streamlined. It used to be that you couldn't have them both on the same computer - Word was inimical to WP - but I'm told that's not true anymore, and I could have both.

Right now, the issue really isn't how to install the WP5.1. The issues are trying to find someone in town to get me through this and pull it all together, to find out if any of the limited used computers available at a store here would work (notably the Dell Optiplex (I think they were the 745 and 780 models), to find out what questions I should be asking the store, to find out if they would be compatible with the WP5.1.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
You are so kind to go on at such length. Let me see if I can answer a few things.
Ah, no worries. I'm here to help!

Main issue I see right now is that the Optiplex models that you've specified are going to be too new to run DOS-based Windows (like Windows 98) properly. In a best case scenario, you'll be able to install it but you won't have the proper drivers (basically programs that allow Windows to understand the hardware in your computer). This will lead to a situation where some features won't work right. For instance, you're display will likely be stuck at a low resolution and at 16 colors, and USB may not work.
You could go older too to get around this, but then you'll be subject to more age-related failures, like to capacitor plague which was mentioned in a previus thread.

I'm just having trouble figuring out a solution that will let you reliably run WordPerfect on bare metal hardware. As mentioned, there are emulation solutions to this, but they're more complex and would require some setup and know-how.

The best solution I can think of if you really would like to stick with WP would be to find someone in your area that can perform the necessary maintenance to an early-2000s computer in order to keep it reliable.

I forget if we've addressed laptops though - you may have mentioned now wanting one? I'd reconsider if that's the case though.
A Dell Inspiron 8000, 8100, or 8200 would all work great for your usecase. Really, any of the following models would:
Dell Latitude C600, C610, C640, C800, C810, C840
Dell Inspiron 4100, 4150, 8000, 8100, 8200

All of the ones listed above have Windows 98 support, floppy drive support, USB, and best of all, they're reliable.
Well, they mostly are. They do all have an internal clock/backup battery that will leak with time. You'd have to get someone to remove it or it will eventually die due to corrosion from this battery.
Once it's out though, they'll run for a long time, and are immune from the capacitor plague of desktops from the time.

I'd recommend any of these listed above, but the best would probably be the C800/810/840 and the Inspiron 8000/8100/8200. They have the best keyboards out of them all, which is ideal for a typing machine. You can also always just hook up an external one though.

Here's a working 8100 on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166277309199

I'd strongly consider picking one of those up. They're great laptops and would fit your three requirements. Just remember to have someone remove that battery if you do get one!

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
Ah, no worries. I'm here to help!

Main issue I see right now is that the Optiplex models that you've specified are going to be too new to run DOS-based Windows (like Windows 98) properly. In a best case scenario, you'll be able to install it but you won't have the proper drivers (basically programs that allow Windows to understand the hardware in your computer). This will lead to a situation where some features won't work right. For instance, you're display will likely be stuck at a low resolution and at 16 colors, and USB may not work.
You could go older too to get around this, but then you'll be subject to more age-related failures, like to capacitor plague which was mentioned in a previus thread.

I'm just having trouble figuring out a solution that will let you reliably run WordPerfect on bare metal hardware. As mentioned, there are emulation solutions to this, but they're more complex and would require some setup and know-how.

The best solution I can think of if you really would like to stick with WP would be to find someone in your area that can perform the necessary maintenance to an early-2000s computer in order to keep it reliable.

I forget if we've addressed laptops though - you may have mentioned now wanting one? I'd reconsider if that's the case though.
A Dell Inspiron 8000, 8100, or 8200 would all work great for your usecase. Really, any of the following models would:
Dell Latitude C600, C610, C640, C800, C810, C840
Dell Inspiron 4100, 4150, 8000, 8100, 8200

All of the ones listed above have Windows 98 support, floppy drive support, USB, and best of all, they're reliable.
Well, they mostly are. They do all have an internal clock/backup battery that will leak with time. You'd have to get someone to remove it or it will eventually die due to corrosion from this battery.
Once it's out though, they'll run for a long time, and are immune from the capacitor plague of desktops from the time.

I'd recommend any of these listed above, but the best would probably be the C800/810/840 and the Inspiron 8000/8100/8200. They have the best keyboards out of them all, which is ideal for a typing machine. You can also always just hook up an external one though.

Here's a working 8100 on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166277309199

I'd strongly consider picking one of those up. They're great laptops and would fit your three requirements. Just remember to have someone remove that battery if you do get one!
Let's see if I have enough information to answer.

Although I've been told I can use the newest Windows, I could use at 32-bit Windows 10, for instance.

I actually don't like laptops. I find them difficult to use, and I'm convinced I'd always be knocking it off the desk. I called Dell, but they were no help. They even have a department supposedly for used re-furbished computers, but they're relatively new - and the person there confided to me that they're not really re-furbished.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Any windows version newer than 98 or Me will not be able to natively run WordPerfect, which includes 10. Doesn’t matter really if it’s 32 or 64 bit.

If all laptops are out, that really just leaves finding a vintage computer that can run the software you would like to use, and those fail frequently. Unless you’ve got someone in your area that can do the required work to keep it running, you’re out of luck. That’s why I suggested laptops, since the ones from the time greatly exceed the reliability of desktops from the time.
If it’s the touch pads that you don’t like about them, you can just hook up the mouse from your current computer. The keyboard on the 8100 and its sister models is very nice. They’re also pretty heavy, you’d have to knock it real good to throw it off the desk.

and yeah don’t bother calling dell about it. Their tech support is known to be pretty bad at helping with current products, let alone ones from the 2000s.