Zip 100 Plus - SCSI Mode and Termination

FlicTheBunny

New Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2022
UK
For the future edification of people who might have run into this issue, if you use a Zip100 Plus (the Parallel Port / SCSI autodetecting version) on a SCSI port, the SCSI bus is left unterminated. This will often cause issues with the SCSI bus crashing (in my case on a Mac LC475) and no devices on the bus being detected. The answer is to, somehow, add a terminator plug to the *other* port. Doing this provides the required termination and should resolve the issue.

Also worthy of note, it's easy to assume the connector with the SCSI/Printer logos is the one where your computer connects. This is in fact *not* the case, the cable to your computer (or previous device in the SCSI chain) connects to the AutoDetect port. You will doubtless discover this as I did when you try to plug the other end of the cable into the SCSI port and find it's the wrong gender...

It might also be a smart idea to remove and SCSI termination from the unit when you plug it into a PC Parallel Port. I have no idea what mayhem if any leaving it on would cause!

iomega-zip-100-plus-scsi-parallel_1_52a76cedc5fb7eaaaf504daef4c19467.jpg