BlueSCSI V2 locks up when attempting to “spin up” the drive

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Title. It’s in a PowerBook 170, System 7.1 and I can’t see any way to make it not spin down the drive in that version. Is there any fix for this? I can’t play Tetris properly, or leave it for more than a couple minutes or it locks up. Otherwise, I’m happy with the device. Have seen this brought up before but I’m not sure it was ever fixed?

@eric
@Androda

Last edited:

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Odd, I was just playing with my Powerbook 170 for quite a few days in a row, leaving it on, sleeping it, etc (trying to diagnose a screen issue) and never had a problem. Could you turn on debug logs and see what the system is trying to do when it spins up?

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Yes, you would unfortuently - though (soon!) the toolbox will let you grab that file and you could get it off the device via ftp/disk/etc)

Reactions: 3lectr1c

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I’m running 7.5.3 on a PB180 with BlueSCSI and can set it to never spin the drive down and it’s working.

My PB180 has the same “wake from sleep” issue that my Macintosh Portable has. I fixed it on the portable by supplying power to the BlueSCSI from the floppy drive cable. This way power gets to the Blue SCSI immediately so it has time to start up before the OS tried to access the drive. I assume it is the same issue with the PowerBook. Upon wake it tries to access the drive but the BlueSCSI hasn’t booted up yet and causes everythig to freeze for a few minutes. It will eventually come back to live but it’s faster to just reboot the machine.