Everything you wanted to know about the BBU, but were afraid to ask...

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
What differentiates the Macintosh SE from the rest of it's forebears? Well, the fact that the PAL's of the earlier 128K, 512K & Plus machines have gone away and been replaced by a single custom ASIC.

The original Macintosh was designed around a single ASIC called the IBM or 'Integrated Burrell Machine'. It was supposed to simplify the logic and the board layout - however, this never materialised as hoped and so the team fell back on tried and tested PAL chips instead.

However the idea was never really fully dropped, and years later, Robert Leroy "Bob" Bailey created the single chip ASIC that Apple had wanted all along - calling it, the Bob Bailey Unit. It was a consolidation of the BMU's, ASG, TSM, TSG, LAG, but with a few extra's thrown in.

The video PAL's in the Plus and earlier compact Macs spend 50 percent of the RAM access time available during display of a horizontal line, leaving the other 50 percent of that time for doing everything else. The earlier Macs spend all of the time for normal computation during the vertical and horizontal retrace intervals, when the screen is not drawing anything.

However, because the BBU can transfer twice as much data at a time into the video circuitry, the Macintosh SE spends only one quarter of the RAM access time dedicated to the video display. This provides a significant performance boost over the Plus & prior compacts for running applications in RAM.

Real world tests show that this arrangement gives the SE a 10 to 20 percent performance boost over the Plus.

Did you know as well that the Macintosh Classic is essentially a cost-reduced SE? It even uses the same BBU chip there, too - so the BBU was produced from 1986 all the way to 1992. They're identical, pinout wise, even if the part numbers are obfuscated. If you have a totally dead classic, you can save the BBU and use that to build yourself a Macintosh SE Reloaded ;)

Due to the work of @jgrip and his metallurgical microscope, a BBU was sacrified to THE GREATER GOOD and imaged. If you click on this link, you can look at the die, zoom in, scan around and see the detail of the logic gates themselves:

https://siliconpr0n.org/map/apple/344s0603-b/mz_am10x/

He's also taken the BrainStorm BBU formerly belonging to @ScutBoy and imaged that, too!

https://chips.c128.se/brainstorm/

Thanks to the imaging - if you notice in the bottom left hand corner of the die, there's a little more information. Even though the chip was diffused by IMP, in this instance, the internals are actually by VTi (later known as just VLSI), but more specifically, the VGC1900 series of off-the-shelf ASIC's.

OK, so that's cool, but why is that important?

Well, just so happens we also have the VGC1900 Series Gate Array Design Manual, here:

Using this, we can disassemble the structure of the gate, possibly using something like https://www.degate.org/ - any takers? ;)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Kai Robinson
You cited 5 acronyms and said they are consolidated into the BBU (Bob Baily Unit). What do each of those 5 acronyms stand for?
BMU, ASG, TSM, TSG, LAG

I want to know more, but I'm not afraid to ask. :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: Kai Robinson

MacEffects

Administrator
Sep 3, 2021
Bump - because I'd be willing to pay someone a tidy sum to analyze the gate structure of the Brainstorm BBU and help modernize it with a modern chip applicable to the SE Reloaded because it will double the system bus speed~!

Reactions: retr01 and JDW

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The large 84-pin PLCC chip is the BBU.

Now a little history - VTi were the original company that Apple contracted to make the BBU, based on VTi's ASIC design/logic gate layout. However, it's common in the industry, well, moreso at the time, to designate a second or even third source of your chips, so if there was an issue with the primary manufacturer, the supply chain wouldn't be adversely affected.

The BBU was manufactured by VTi initially, but the designs were handed over to IMP and Philips as well, for them to produce in their fabs.

Later in the 1980's, VTi renamed themselves to VLSI, and that's why you also see some chips marked as VLSI. Later in the 90's, Philips ended up buying out VLSI for $953m after VLSI hit some financial difficulties. That's also why you no longer see VLSI marked on anything after about 1999 ;)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Where is the BBU located on the SE logic board?
Here...
SE_Board_BBU.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The large 84-pin PLCC chip is the BBU.
PLCC? 🤔
Now a little history - VTi were the original company that Apple contracted to make the BBU, based on VTi's ASIC design/logic gate layout. However, it's common in the industry, well, moreso at the time, to designate a second or even third source of your chips, so if there was an issue with the primary manufacturer, the supply chain wouldn't be adversely affected.
Smart. I took Operations and Supply Chain Management class and multiple suppliers for the same thing is a common strategy.
The BBU was manufactured by VTi initially, but the designs were handed over to IMP and Philips as well, for them to produce in their fabs.

Later in the 1980's, VTi renamed themselves to VLSI, and that's why you also see some chips marked as VLSI. Later in the 90's, Philips ended up buying out VLSI for $953m after VLSI hit some financial difficulties. That's also why you no longer see VLSI marked on anything after about 1999 ;)
Ah so, thats how VLSI went poof! ☠️ Yeah, a lot of companies had financial problems during the 1990s, including Apple.

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
PLCC? 🤔

Smart. I took Operations and Supply Chain Management class and multiple suppliers for the same thing is a common strategy.

Ah so, thats how VLSI went poof! ☠️ Yeah, a lot of companies had financial problems during the 1990s, including Apple.
Yep - PLCC is an acronym for Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier. I.e. square, legs on each side, can either be socketed, or soldered.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Yep - PLCC is an acronym for Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier. I.e. square, legs on each side, can either be socketed, or soldered.
What? You mean it doesn't stand for Pretty Little Cute Chick? ;-)

Seriously, except for FBI, CIA, IBM and a few other very common ones, I'm usually one to get lost when many acronyms are used. Same in Japanese, although I've learned the most common ones. They don't use English letters, so they truncate and smash words together instead like this:

Personal Computer = PC (in English)
ナル・コンピューター = パソコン (pronounced "pass-oh-cone" in Japanese)

But the Japanese do try their own hand at English style acronyms. While driving to work today, I spotted an ALSOK car, which is an acronym but with a Japanese twist...

ALways Security OK

They of course, put those 3 words below the acronym because, as you can imagine, no one would figure it out otherwise! I've seen that for decades while living here, but it always makes me muse and chuckle.

Ah, life in Japan can be fun...

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Seriously, except for FBI, CIA, IBM and a few other very common ones, I'm usually one to get lost when many acronyms are used.

When I worked at NASA we had a ~1" thick acronym dictionary which was pretty much a necessity in order to function well.

And it was out of print...

You had to wait for someone to retire and then hope you could steal theirs.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Hey @trag! That is cool you worked at NASA! What did you do there? Oh, I know some stuff is classified. I am just wondering. :alien::geek:
At NASA, @trag was responsible for interrogating a highly advanced alien race who came to earth through what scientists call "a dent in in the universe," desperately seeking knowledge about why Apple computers are so delightfully different.

• Haha
Reactions: trag and retr01