Everything you wanted to know about the BBU, but were afraid to ask...

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Hey @trag! That is cool you worked at NASA! What did you do there? Oh, I know some stuff is classified. I am just wondering. :alien::geek:

Cheers!

Well, I like @JDW 's answer better. It really wasn't very exciting, unfortunately. NASA has never been what it was in the 60s since then.

I worked there from 84 to 87 in Space Shuttle Payload Integration. Which sounds kind of cool. Get the payloads connected and ready, right? Except we didn't That all happened at the Cape. At JSC we wrote documentation about the payloads which might get used during the flight.

Also, for every person you see on TV in that big control room, there were 1 - 3 in a back room somewhere supporting them. So during "my" missions (I worked on three) I was part of mission control with the 9" B&W display and headset but I was in the other room that isn't on TV.

BTW, those panels of lit/unlit buttons you see are communications channels. If a bunch of them are lit at once, then that person is trying to listen to several channels at once -- which was an essential and expected skill. One needed to be able to sort out at least three conversations at once. Different colors for listen only or listen and talk.

We had pneumatic tubes (like at bank drive-ins) to send documentation back and forth. Also, back then we didn't have a network of relay satellites in orbit so there were long periods where we didn't have communications with the shuttle (LOS - Loss of Signal). During LOS those of us in the back room might be sent on a run to Burrito King which was open late (all night?) and near the JSC gate.

You can send burritos through the pneumatic tube system okay, but don't send canned or bottled sodas -- or if you do, don't open them for 20 minutes afterwards....

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
So, @trag is getting burritos through the tube faster than the drive to pick up and back? How long before the burritos show up? :sneaky:⏱️

Thank you, @trag. I understand that, at times, it can get boring. Still, you were one of the few people at Mission Control (even in the back room). That is awesome! :D(y)

Have you watched For All Mankind on Apple TV?

ATV_For_All_Mankind_key_art_graphic_header_4_1_show_home.jpg.large.jpg

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Now, about the Bob Bailey Unit, @Kai Robinson, I am wondering if you have considered working with @JDW to create a video explaining the BBU in the earlier models and the GLU in the latter models of compact Macs? I have not found anything on YouTube about that. So, with @JDW's excellent video production skills, I think it would be great!

Cheers!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
So, @trag is getting burritos through the tube faster than the drive to pick up and back? How long before the burritos show up? :sneaky:⏱️
To be honest, I need one of those tubes spanning the Pacific because good Mexican food is very hard to come by here Japan. Being originally from the state of California, I get the taco Tuesday urges here a lot. I need @trag to tube me a burrito! 🌯 🌯 🌯

• Haha
Reactions: retr01

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I must apologize for having allowed this important thread on the "BBU" to sway quite a bit; but to get back on topic, if any of you have more insider information on Bob Bailey (above and beyond what a Google search will yield), please share those stories. It would probably take a current or former Apple employee to offer up that info. I was able to find his obituary by Googling, but nothing pertaining to the work he put into his creations like the BBU chip. My inquiring mind wants to know more about his other contributions at Apple.

Reactions: retr01 and trag

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021

Thank you, @trag. I understand that, at times, it can get boring. Still, you were one of the few people at Mission Control (even in the back room). That is awesome! :D(y)

Have you watched For All Mankind on Apple TV?

Hard to read tone in writing... I'm pretty sure you're having me on, but the tubes were between the back rooms and the front mission control area. So after we made a burrito run we'd send the camera-ready people their burritos through the tubes. Access to the main room was heavily controlled.

I enjoyed "For All Mankind" very much. I watched 2 seasons. Is there more yet?