Floppy Gears

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I printed off about 40 Macintosh floppy gears in the resin printer, The design is the latest V2 from the amazing Stephen:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4167139

Some of them still require removal of rough bottom edges from the print bed.
If you are in need of a few let me know and I will send them out for cost of postage!

DSCF0669.JPG

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
They look really good!

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
@Drake These do look good! What sort of support and angle setup did you use for these?
no supports, nothing special going on. Just printed right on the bed and knocked off afterward

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
no supports, nothing special going on. Just printed right on the bed and knocked off afterward
Huh, I'm surprised you didn't have a problem with elephants foot. Did you shorten the exposure time for the initial layers compared to a typical print?

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Huh, I'm surprised you didn't have a problem with elephants foot. Did you shorten the exposure time for the initial layers compared to a typical print?
basic settings for mars pro 2 in chitubox, lifting speed set to 30-40mm/sec

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
How messy is a resin printer?
Wear gloves, keep ventilated. Outside of that theres no trouble. Some printers double as a wash/cure station so that eliminates any potential mess.

Mikeosoft

New Tinkerer
Feb 10, 2022
Hi I am new to these forums but am with only a FDM ender 3 v2 and I can’t print these successfully. Can I get two? I will gladly pay extra I just don’t want to support the eBay seller who is making too much on these.
Thanks,
Mike

• Love
Reactions: Stephen

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Hi I am new to these forums but am with only a FDM ender 3 v2 and I can’t print these successfully. Can I get two? I will gladly pay extra I just don’t want to support the eBay seller who is making too much on these.
Thanks,
Mike
I'll check my drawer, I've been sending them out like candy. You can pm me your address and we'll sort out a few bucks for shipping

Reactions: Mikeosoft

mitchkramez

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
South Dakota of all places
@Drake would you mind sharing some screens of your print/advanced settings from chitu - trying to get these to print on my Mars 3 and just got a bunch of elephants foot if i print directly on the bed, and some sagging requiring sanding the bottom if i use supports.

Are you using any kind of exposure compensation at all?

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
@Drake would you mind sharing some screens of your print/advanced settings from chitu - trying to get these to print on my Mars 3 and just got a bunch of elephants foot if i print directly on the bed, and some sagging requiring sanding the bottom if i use supports.

Are you using any kind of exposure compensation at all?

pre-sliced for my Mars 2 pro, it should work on the 3 (couple chitubox versions behind).
Ensure you use a tough resin and cure immediately (I use a UV curing box). I've run these off with cheaper resin but the teeth NEED resin with better rigidity.
Capture.JPG
PXL_20220627_160309043.jpg

mitchkramez

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
South Dakota of all places
@Drake - Using yours as a basis for the angle, I took the original, and adjusted the supports to be no wider than the gear teeth, and also lowered the support penetration so they have zero impact on the gear teeth themselves. They now very easily unzip from the supports and require almost no post processing or cleanup. Each support was carefully positioned to be just inside the edge of the gear.

I did notice that mine are printing to be about ~3.93mm tall from base to top, and the originals were ~3.63, but a couple of quick passes on some 180 grit sandpaper and a quick bath made easy work of that, and after installing them - they sound and work great. Did about 100 eject cycles and inspected the gear and it still was looking perfect!

Here's the newly supported file should anyone want it. If you'd like the .chitubox project so you can move the supports for any reason, just let me know!

IMG_2838D.JPG

Attachments

• _Apple_Floppy_Drive_Gear_V2.stl.zip
    339.3 KB · Views: 83

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
@Drake - Using yours as a basis for the angle, I took the original, and adjusted the supports to be no wider than the gear teeth, and also lowered the support penetration so they have zero impact on the gear teeth themselves. They now very easily unzip from the supports and require almost no post processing or cleanup. Each support was carefully positioned to be just inside the edge of the gear.

I did notice that mine are printing to be about ~3.93mm tall from base to top, and the originals were ~3.63, but a couple of quick passes on some 180 grit sandpaper and a quick bath made easy work of that, and after installing them - they sound and work great. Did about 100 eject cycles and inspected the gear and it still was looking perfect!

Here's the newly supported file should anyone want it. If you'd like the .chitubox project so you can move the supports for any reason, just let me know!

View attachment 6796
pikachu.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: retr01 and Stephen

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022
Is there a file to print my own for the 2mb floppy? The Sony MP-F75W-12G. There seems to be a 1mm difference for the main gear diameter and the upper smaller gear. The shaft is also smaller at 1mm. I guess could scale this one down to fit? Sorry I am asking as i am new to 3D printing.

Last edited:

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022

View attachment 6796
I am hunting for the file to print the 2mb floppy version which is a bit smaller. The main gear, the top smaller gear and the shaft opening all need to be 1mm smaller. For the other floppy drives this works great and I already printed and using a bunch of them. @Drake are you able to assist any maybe to produce a smaller gear file?

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I am hunting for the file to print the 2mb floppy version which is a bit smaller. The main gear, the top smaller gear and the shaft opening all need to be 1mm smaller. For the other floppy drives this works great and I already printed and using a bunch of them. @Drake are you able to assist any maybe to produce a smaller gear file?
I don't have anything done for another size, if the internal measurement changes it's likely to have more teeth or different spacing.

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022
I don't have anything done for another size, if the internal measurement changes it's likely to have more teeth or different spacing.
Thanks I want to add a picture of the 2. On left is the 800K one printed from the file here. On right is the 2mb drive version.

Attachments

• C34445E2-A347-4B18-AB11-149382418F4C.jpeg
    C34445E2-A347-4B18-AB11-149382418F4C.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 51