Floppy Slot SD Card Mount Idea

bcl

New Tinkerer

Imagine using the second floppy drive slot for easy access to your BlueSCSI's SD Card!​

The SE, II, IIx, IIfx, and LC have a second floppy slot that I suspect almost nobody is using for a floppy drive, if they also have a SCSI emulator in the machine. I would love to have a bezel like the one on a hard drive-equipped SE with a slot for SD card next to the activity LED. This could be done by mounting the BlueSCSI v2 directly on the back of the bezel or by providing a SD Card slot extension (like the metal one in this set) and longer wires for the LED, so the drive could be in that bay, or elsewhere, like the hard drive bay at the back of a Mac II.

The first option would probably be more elegant, but less compatible, since some people are still using emulators other than BlueSCSI v2 (and BlueSCSI v2 could evolve so the slot isn't in the same place). It's also less compatible with different Macs because the SE and II use two clips and a screw, and the LC uses a very different bracket in that bay. So the less elegant solution could probably work with any emulator and any Mac with an auto-inject floppy drive slot, even if it only has one (as long as you're willing to give up the floppy drive).

I don't have the skills or tools to design or produce an object like this, but I know there are some people here with amazing 3D skills. Would anyone be interested in taking this on as a project? I think the potential audience is pretty large, since I believe most of us would love easier access to the SD Card in our internal emulators.

Despite my lacking 3D skills, I made some incredibly inspirational (LOL) mockups of what this could look like in the rather dirty SE sitting here on my test bench. I know the SD slot isn't centered, but I tried to place it roughly where it would be if a BlueSCSI v2 were mounted directly to the back of the bezel. One shows what it would look like in Platinum, although that would be impossible to match, especially since most Platinum is now a random shade of yellow. The other option would be matte black, which would look pretty similar to an empty floppy drive behind the slot, except for the LED. I suppose the LED is optional, but I can't imagine a good reason not to have it.

Attachments

• Bezel Black.jpg
    Bezel Black.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Bezel Platinum.jpg
    Bezel Platinum.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: