G3 Kanga Repair

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Hi all,

I just dragged my G3 Kanga out from hibernation for the last 25 years and although the bottom of the shell enclosure is crumbling apart so bad I had to piece it all together with packing tape, the rest of it is in decent shape but it has the commonly occurring display issue with a patter all over it. The computer chimes on boot and the mouse is working but it’s got the blinking floppy so the hard drive must be shot.

A good restoration project and I assume I can replace the bottom plastic shell with a PB 3400c one I could maybe find on eBay or something.

Anyone know right off what the video issue is? Easy fix? Assuming it’s RAM related.

Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7673.jpeg
    IMG_7673.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7671.jpeg
    IMG_7671.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I just opened it up to inspect and this melting damage is mind boggling. Not only the mysterious plastic melting on the hinge cover but the solid aluminum mounts under neither it are also melted! Melted metal! And the battery shows no signs of damage a tiny slight bit of corrosion but that’s it. And the speaker mount plate the bits up against it has zero damage. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_7675.jpeg

IMG_7676.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Patrick