G4 (sawtooth, Gigabit, Digital audio, maybe more) To ATX bracket adapter!

GeekyBit

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
So Answer the Question no one asked and likely no one wants. I am working on an G4 To ATX Adapter kit and 3d print files.

here is the top half design so far and part of the bottom half work in progress .
Tinkercad.png

So why do this, Am I just insane or is there a valid reason? Well I hope there is a valid reason. See as the G4s get on in years the G4 case plastics brake as they are brittle. How do we solve the issue? Well we can make 3d prints but currently not all printers can make something strong enough to work as a replacement for certain parts such as the door opening mechanism. So my idea is why not replace the case all together when it isn't salvageable with current processes.

The other issue is, e-waste centers and electric recyclers often toss those case but sell the parts so there are often way more mother boards than Cases right now. So they could helps to make Fully custom system.

So lastly why would I do this with systems that are so cheap. Lets do some math. You can get a motherboard for about 10-40 USD currently and free shipping, you can get A CPU and a heatsink for as low as 8-35 USD. Then everything else CD/DVD and Zip drive, SATA to IDE, PSU Adapter can all be found for about 50 USD total. A good ATX case can be found for 40-110 USD that will be compatible. So what does a whole G4 system cost currently you can get them dirt cheap 40-100 USD on ebay, but and this is big they charge shipping and that can be up to 60-130 USD so what are the totals

Conservatively the G4 Custom build could be 110 or so USD but up to 235 USD.

How about the Whole G4 system could be anywhere from 100 USD to 230 USD

So in reality it doesn't cost that much more granted the low end and high in will certainly be more. I think this will be a great project to preserve these old Logic Boards that don't have a parent case.

So here is what it looks like in the test fit case with the top ATX bracket made so far
IMG_2187.jpg
IMG_2247.jpg
IMG_2248.jpg
IMG_2249.jpg

Sorry the Case is a bit dirty. It was the only Flat bottom ATX case I had. I am waiting on the new case which will have everything I need to make this Fancy. I am going to use a Fractal Design Air Pop Green ATX case. I am going to also put in an Zip 250 Smoke Black and a DVD slot load slim drive. I will also be using a 128GB Drive with dual Boot OSX and MacOS 9.2.2

Some things to keep in mind if you can find a G4 locally it will still be way cheaper too.

EDIT: UPDATE here is the Link to a, "Beta," version of the 3d Print STL Files https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6019093

Last edited: