HD20 Battery Conversion

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I wanna take an HD20 and make it a battery pack for my Plus. Kinda like an incredibly heavy USB power bank, but for compact Macintosh all-in-ones.

How much battery life you lot think it would provide?

reasonsandreasons

New Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2023
I imagine the best way to do it would be to use something like this board to allow the Plus to run off DC power directly. You'd probably increase your runtime substantially since you wouldn't have to use an inverter. At that point you could just stuff the HD20 with 18650s or something and be on your way. Their Wiki page says that an 80W, 12V AC/DC brick should be sufficient; from that someone who knew electronics better than me could do the math on runtime.

reasonsandreasons

New Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2023
You couldn’t run it off the internal AC PSU, but you could use an external AC/DC brick. You’d lose the ability just plug right into the wall, though, for however long the mod is installed.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Ahhh. Def don't wanna lose that, so I think DC to AC converter in the battery is the way to go.

Come to think of it, I have a UPS with a battery a bit smaller than the footprint of the HD20, and that runs up to 150 minutes, so I could def get 90 minutes on older, less efficient equipment. Maybe even 120!

Lugging that heavy battery around is crossing into performance art territory. I'm so doing this - when I find one that isn't stupidly overpriced.

Last edited: