Help Me Identify Mr. Chips of "Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips" Fame...

jdmcs

TinkerDifferent Board DoP&G
Staff member
Oct 28, 2021
Central Virginia
youtube.com
If you're ever in my office perusing my bookshelf of computer references, there is one odd title you will run across: It is "Scooter Computer & Mr. Chips: The Computer in the Candy Store" by Leslie McGuire. And while it is not my childhood copy of the book, it's there for a reason: one of my relatives gifted it to me in the past due to my desire at the time, despite never seeing or owning one, of wanting a computer.

Don't knock me for putting two and two together as a very young child from things I heard from my uncle...

Anyways, as a very big child now, I would very much like to build a model Mr. Chips. And while from the cover of this book, I can recognize that Scooter Computer wore Adidas shoes, and his friend Arthur wore Converse All Star shoes at a five-second glance of the cover, despite illustrator John Costanza's purposeful mimicking of products, I am stumped as to what model, or dare I say models, of computer that Mr. Chips was modeled after...

It's very possible that Costanza came up with a drawing that didn't match any particular micro of the time, but something tells me that there might be a micro -- or terminal -- that looks very similar out there.

To give me a starting place for my long-term goal to build a Mr. Chips, does anyone see a similarity of Mr. Chips to any real micro or terminal out there?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
There are some Wiki pages, such as:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Wow. :oops: I still can't find the real-life implementation of Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips in hardware, software, or even 3D print.

However, I remember that Hartmut Esslinger did mention Wega, a German audio and video company that Sony acquired in 1975, and designed a "Wega TV." It was similar to the mid-century modern futuristic design of a rounded TV enclosure on a tulip-shaped pedestal straight out of the Jetsons cartoons. :sneaky:

1658859430618.png