Hey there from California

TT/30

New Tinkerer
Sep 17, 2023
California
I recently heard about this new community from a friend and thought I'd drop by to introduce myself. I noticed that this forum has a rule requiring usernames to be longer than 2 characters. I usually go by "tt," so I appended "-30" to it since I primarily play with the SE/30. My collection started with an SE/30 I found at shopping at a Goodwill with my girlfriend in the early 2000s. I was thrilled to find it, recalling how I used to admire it in computer showrooms when I was younger. At the time, it was too costly for my family to buy brand new – instead, we got the Mac Plus with a 20MB hard drive. My interest led me to scour for more information about the SE/30, and that's when I stumbled upon gamba's website and the special corner he dedicated to the SE/30. My first eBay purchase was probably an Asante ethernet card for it. I remember thinking it was pricey at roughly $20, especially considering the cost of the old machine itself.

Besides the SE/30, I'm keen on other 68k desktop Macs, such as the IIci, a few of the Quadras, Mac Plus, SE, and Color Classic II. I try to not delve beyond this generation of machines to try to keep things simple for myself. However, they also have a rich history, and it's cool to see new developments, discoveries, and rediscoveries associated with these systems.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
The SE/30 is an excellent choice. Have you gone down the rabbit hole of recapping at least its logic board? Taken out the battery before it spills and corrodes the board?

I've recently added wires to mine from a connector to split the video signal out, sent it to a RGBtoHDMI and can now stream and/or capture the video straight from the machine's metal.

TT/30

New Tinkerer
Sep 17, 2023
California
The SE/30 is an excellent choice. Have you gone down the rabbit hole of recapping at least its logic board? Taken out the battery before it spills and corrodes the board?

I've recently added wires to mine from a connector to split the video signal out, sent it to a RGBtoHDMI and can now stream and/or capture the video straight from the machine's metal.
Yeah, all the above! The rabbit hole (or The Manhole) is deep for the SE/30.

I came across your video several weeks ago and thought the RGBtoHDMI project is really cool. In the past I had seen people tap into compact Mac video signals to interface with LCDs and they never really provided enough detail for people to try on their own. Coincidently, today I started soldering the RGBtoHDMI HAT to try out with an Apple II to connect it to my TV. I will likely build another one to connect to a compact Mac. Do you have a video capture device you recommend?