How do you pronounce “LIDO?”

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Eric and Scutboy are dreaming...
It's LID (like tupperware) and Dough (like a good loaf of bread)

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I'm with @fehervaria. As evidence I reference the aformentiond "Lido Shuffle" by Boz Scaggs, as well as on "The Love Boat", shuffleboard was always announced as being on the "lee doe" deck, not the "liddo" deck or "lie doe" deck :)

I realize I'm dating myself with this, but whatever...

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
It's pronounced Lie-doh. I say that with all the authority of someone who's had absolutely no external consultation.

Shall we do the GIF pronunciation too? What about Bondi?

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin K. and Mac84

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
It's pronounced Lie-doh. I say that with all the authority of someone who's had absolutely no external consultation.

Shall we do the GIF pronunciation too? What about Bondi?
Hold up... Bon-dee? Bon-die? In Nebraska they would say "Baahn-dee"

• Haha
Reactions: Mac84

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Lido (pronounced lee-doh) is a slang word for a swimming area (pool or beach) throughout English and Italian speaking European countries. It also means beach or shore in Italian. On a cruise ship, the lido deck is where the pool is. Considering the developer was Surf City Software I tend to think Lido references a swimming area, hence the pronunciation lē-(ˌ)dō.

gif is an acronym for graphics interchange format, hence the hard g. Now if it were a giraffe interchange format…

Reactions: wottle

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Wait, how is the correct pronunciation for Bondi even up for discussion? Its Bon-die, since its named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondi_Beach
both the wrong way and the correct way sound the same to me.

i think everybody else is on secret missing to screw with me. claiming there is 2 ways when really its just one.

Although i realize its prolly just my own hearing that doesn't allow me to tell the difference between the two ways.

• Haha
Reactions: davewongillies