Interested to run across this forum

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
I was very surprised to accidentally run across this site online.

I was hoping to ask questions about antiquated items without being mocked here - specifically, I wanted to ask about computers for an old WP5.1 DOS word processing - trying to figure out the right forum(s) for that.

But now that I see the layout of the forums, I'm not sure where to even ask.

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
I was very surprised to accidentally run across this site online.

I was hoping to ask questions about antiquated items without being mocked here - specifically, I wanted to ask about computers for an old WP5.1 DOS word processing - trying to figure out the right forum(s) for that.

But now that I see the layout of the forums, I'm not sure where to even ask.
This forum is very friendly. :) You can always throw your questions into General if they aren't machine specific. I'm sure a mod could move it later if need be. There are a few different generations of machine that could be appropriate depending on what your needs are.

Reactions: retr01

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
I have a small number of DOS systems used primarily for word processing - they are really quite efficient in terms of what you can do with them and how well they work. My preference is a Compaq Portable III, though finding one in good working condition can be hit and miss, particularly due to the plasma screen, and an NEC PowerMate Portable 286, which is truly excellent. WordPerfect 5 and LotusWorks 1 are good options for software, and early found.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I was hoping to ask questions about antiquated items without being mocked here
1684942936726.png

Reactions: retr01 and eric