Is still Hotline a thing?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
I must say I didn't use this at the time, and I discovered Hotline just recently.
I installed the client and connected to some servers... no other users online.

I al tried to setup a Linux server, but so far the two I found I wasn't able to compile (seem to be a quite old code).

Is there any active server nowadays?

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
I must say I didn't use this at the time, and I discovered Hotline just recently.
I installed the client and connected to some servers... no other users online.

I al tried to setup a Linux server, but so far the two I found I wasn't able to compile (seem to be a quite old code).

Is there any active server nowadays?
If I remember correctly, Hotline was the "predecessor" to gnutella or some such. Not in use anymore as far as I can tell.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Sure is! Macintosh garden has one and the tracker still responds with 20 servers

7818F93A-16BA-48B4-B7F4-74CC5D60DCEB.jpeg

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I installed Hotline on my G5 1.8, but I can't connect to macintoshgarden.org or misfire.applefritter.com. They're both timing out for me. I get in to other hotline servers though, so the client is working...
Ya, I think the MG one is now the system7 today one, and I wasnt able to connect to applefritter either. but still lots of other good ones out there.

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
Ya, I think the MG one is now the system7 today one, and I wasnt able to connect to applefritter either. but still lots of other good ones out there.
It looks like the Applefritter reboot of eWorld is down too. I'll PM Tom and see if he can get those back up...

Reactions: Alf Torp and eric

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
So I got a bit hooked with this and I created a server using Mobius in a Linux VM in AWS
The server is hotline.retrobyt.es and is in the hltracker.com list

For now it's just freshly deployed and I'm checking how it works, but if you want to test it and report, it would be appreciated!