Looking for force quit software for OS 9 and earlier

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
Looking for any inits, control panels, or whatnot that allows you to force quit a misbehaving app through a keypress other than command-option-esc on OS 9 and earlier. Anyone know of such a thing? Trying to find a nicer way to get out of misbehaving apps in SheepShaver without having to restart the entire emulator. Even a process watcher that would auto-force-quit a non-responding app would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Anden Selmani

New Tinkerer
Sep 28, 2022
Albania
Hello my friend!

What you are asking for does not exist I do not think. You must remember that the classic MacOS uses Co-operation Multitasking!
I believe the Mac OS 9 does have limited real multitasking. But I think that all Applications run in the same process. The blues task!
Needing to restart computer is corner stone of Classic Mac Experience, you are lucky you don't need restarting your entire computer!!! :) :)

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Yep, in the classic Mac OS, trying to force-quit an application was generally seen as a last-ditch effort. If you were lucky, the force quit would work and you could save your work in any other open applications before rebooting. More often, though, it wouldn't work and you had to hard-reboot the machine. People got *very* used to instinctively pressing Command-S every few minutes while working during that era!

• Haha
Reactions: Kai Robinson