Need to emulate a 2.5" quantum 80 meg hard drive for 1992 Kodak DCS200 early DSLR camera.

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Hello fellow Tinkerers, I collect and restore digital cameras, especially early ones. Kodak used a Quantum GO-Drive for the second series camera that was similar to the Apple Laptops drive. Including beating them self's to death sticking and UN-sticking them self from the dead stops. I've tried a v2 and a 25 pin external Blue SCSI's. Also a Zulu SCSI v1.1. None have done more than showed LED activity. I arrived late to the recent Antique Computer show and only just caught Eric E. packing up. Differences I've noted are, early DOS Fat file structure {16 or earlier). Program for accessing it's raw files ran on DOS 6 and Windows 3.1. The camera powered up the drive and waited for spin up to transfer files. possible "at speed" hand shake or just time delay. DB 25 external took any size "Hitchhiker" external drive and nullified presence of internal drive in camera. Power and SCSI ID supplied by camera. All 40 ribbon wires connected, no telling if used. Eric mention a breakout tester or such to check signals "?". Does anyone know of one? Or a source for a male and female 2mm spacing IDC connectors. Thanks for everyone's hard work I at least can use the units for my early Apples.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    852.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 55

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
As an overall note, those pictures are very blurry. It's hard to see details in them.

Just to restate, you have tried a BlueSCSI V2, a DB25 BlueSCSI (which version? V1 or V2?), and a Zulu and none of them work? There could be several things going on:
* this might be trying to use custom vendor commands which we don't have implemented
* maybe the "quirks" mode is set to something the camera doesn't understand (this requires using an bluescsi.ini file to change, which can be generated here)
* it's also possible that the camera's SCSI implementation is "just different" enough to cause issues with the SD to SCSI solutions

As for the SCSI blinky light device, that's here. It is *not* helpful for most users, because all it does is show the raw SCSI bus state (which usually transitions around faster than you can see). Generally speaking it's only helpful if the bus gets "stuck" in a bad state, so it's mostly for developers or people that need a plug adapter board (blinky lights are a fun extra).

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Thank you both, and especially Eric and his associate who I discovered weren't trying to leave but to shop before everyone packet up. I feel like such a nerd. Led board shows not currently available, I'll take one the minute it's in stock. Or do you need it paid first for funds?

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Thank you both, and especially Eric and his associate who I discovered weren't trying to leave but to shop before everyone packet up. I feel like such a nerd. Led board shows not currently available, I'll take one the minute it's in stock. Or do you need it paid first for funds?
There's one adapter board left as a kit, if you feel like assembling it. I have more of these on the way from the PCB manufacturer, and will then have some assembled available.

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
There's one adapter board left as a kit, if you feel like assembling it. I have more of these on the way from the PCB manufacturer, and will then have some assembled available.
Thanks, received the SCSI adapter board. A nice unit. I was able to access a drive image as a device on two Adaptec boards in two pcs. An ISA version in a pentium 2 windows 3.14 that has the camera twain software and Twain driver. Then was able to Format FAT16 to it on a Adaptec PCI in a IBM p3 server under the cards utilities. I pasted a TIF image onto it under XP Pro. Also confirmed function of Blue SCSI V2-2022_11b, a BlueSCSI DB25 1.1-a, and a ZuluSCSI V1.1 for Laptops Rev 2022a. So I will see what response I get attached to one of the Cameras. Gotta cleanup my desk etc. "If you bury one project with another one You just might be a Pencil Neck".