No Wonder my SE screen just has a vertical line

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Should I just replace the connectors or should I try to determine the root cause? And if so, how?
SE vertical line.jpg

SE burnt connector.jpg

Last edited:

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
Replacing the analog board connector should take care of the arcing that likely caused this to happen. If you were planning to keep the analog board connector (not advisable), I’d desolder then resolder it using plenty of flux. That should also take care of the arcing.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Oh, I'm definitely replacing both connectors! 😱
This may be a spare SE but it does work. I will have to figure out a replacement for the fan though as I'm salvaging that for my SE/30 refurb.

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
Thanks but this SE has a squirrel cage fan. The SE/30 I'm transferring to is an SE conversion to an SE/30 and also has a squirrel cage fan. If there's a new replacement for a squirrel cage that would be great.
I think it was mentioned that a regular blade fan may hit the CRT yoke, plus I think it would require a fan mount.
https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/restoring-my-se-to-se-30-conversion-with-a-noisy-fan.3448/
You can print (or have printed) a fan mount (https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/macintosh-se-or-se-30-fan-bracket.976/)

If I recall correctly, the yoke connector that goes with a regular box fan analog board is vertical, whereas the connector that goes with the squirrel cage fan analog board is horizontal - which is why a change to a box fan is problematic. It might be as easy as getting a new yoke board and printing the mount to make the exchange.

Before doing so, I’d wait for someone who actually has experience with squirrel cage fan SE/30’s to comment.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
OK, here's what I think I need to do. Find out what that transistor is at R31 and replace it, then run a bodge wire at W6. That should provide power to the 2 terminal holes for the fan. One thing I find odd is that the wire at W6 isn't protected and it easily comes in contact with the PSU housing. Maybe because it's the black wire that' makes it OK?
I know nothing about components, can someone tell me what to buy for that transistor/resistor at R31?

The molex plug came right out of the solder joints at P5 when I pulled the plug, oof!

Analog-Compare.jpg

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
Resistor R31 is a 4.7 ohm 5% tolerance and most likely 1/2 Watt, given it’s larger size compared to most of the other resistors.

R31 and the W6 jumper are completely absent from my box fan analog boards (820-0206-B and 820-0206-C).

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
The box fan attaches to the analog board to the left on this picture, where the board is labelled “yellow” and “black.” (The wire is red, not yellow, because the fan is a replacement.)

Attachments

• IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 9