Noggin-shield Man

helmetguy

New Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2024
Greetings.

I've named myself as such since I've been riding motorcycles for most of my life. That's the tank cover of my Triumph Trident 660 in my avatar.

Previously my interest in older tech was limited to 6x86 Wintel machines - both desktops and laptops (way too many of them) - and late-90s / early 2000s PDAs (just three at the moment, but I'm hunting for more).

However a short while ago I wanted to find a machine that would natively run Pro Tools 8, the version that I own, with a Firewire audio interface. And for some reason I bought a G4 MDD (the really loud one) for this purpose. Most of my purchase decisions follow this same clumsy theme.

Somehow that MDD purchase snowballed into a variety of pre-Intel Apple machines (the generation which I find really interesting), including an early-2004 Powerbook G4, a USB 2.0 eMac, a late-2004 G5 and the most recent acquisition, a Powerbook 3400c/200. All of them apart from the G5 have issues (go figure), of which I am slowly working away at.

Aaaaaaaand that's why I'm here.

Apart from motorcycles, antiquated computers and PDAs, I also enjoy(?) building and repairing audio equipment. The skills I've learned go hand-in-hand with maintaining old machines.....

Last edited: