Odd Problem With My G4 Mirror Door Mac

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
Hey folks!

So, to preface this-the machine is not used often. This is what happens once in a while....

I hit the power button, and nothing. I unplug and plug the power cord back into the G4, and it boots up. The clock settings are lost, and I have to reset them. FYI, the Saft PRAM battery I put in around 8 years ago. It's still in decent shape and holds a charge.

Any idea what this problem could be?

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
MDD power supplies aren't hard to find used and are generally straightforward swaps (here's me switching one out in mine a few years ago: https://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2020/10/refurb-weekend-power-mac-g4-mdd.html ), but you run the risk of getting one of the pre-recall units which will fail sooner. If you don't need the ADC voltage, there are projects to replace it with a standard ATX supply, as long as you don't mind the supply being external since I don't know of any ATX-compatible supply that will fit in the MDD. See http://atxg4.com/mdd.html for details on that.

And don't forget to replace the PRAM battery while you're there since that seems to have died too. :)

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
MDD power supplies aren't hard to find used and are generally straightforward swaps (here's me switching one out in mine a few years ago: https://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2020/10/refurb-weekend-power-mac-g4-mdd.html ), but you run the risk of getting one of the pre-recall units which will fail sooner. If you don't need the ADC voltage, there are projects to replace it with a standard ATX supply, as long as you don't mind the supply being external since I don't know of any ATX-compatible supply that will fit in the MDD. See http://atxg4.com/mdd.html for details on that.

And don't forget to replace the PRAM battery while you're there since that seems to have died too. :)
Just out of curiosity-and not that I'd do it myself since I'm not an electronics whiz-is this because the capacitors inside the old PS are going bad? If so, would it benefit from a recap?

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
You could try, and I don't discount they may make things worse, but MDD power supplies were problematic even when they were new and were the subject of a recall. My dual 1.25 was the first computer I ever bought new and was affected by it, and Apple sent me a new one.

Reactions: 2112st

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
ClassicHasClass-clarifying my last post...Sean replaced the power supply with something other than the one that was made for the MDD. I'll need to dig that video up to see what he used.

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
I just picked up an ailing MDD with power problem... I have a ATX FLEX 600W psu I will try to fit in, much smaller than the original PSU, so it should fit internally.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
I just picked up an ailing MDD with power problem... I have a ATX FLEX 600W psu I will try to fit in, much smaller than the original PSU, so it should fit internally.
I plan to order the set-up that Sean talks about here. While I'll also order a new PRAM battery, it's odd that the old one didn't work, since I tested it and it still holds a charge. Again-I put it in myself around 8 years ago. Eh, whatever. I'll just get another one.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Okay-power supply, MDD ATX adapter cable & Saft batteries ordered. I cringed a little at the total price, but since I don't do this sort of thing often and because I want to continue using this G4 MDD (data storage as well as eventually playing around with an additional operating system), I went for it. This should be interesting. :cool:

Reactions: phunguss

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
I found a PSU slave cable, from my days of crypto-mining, no longer needed, so I will re-pin it into my own ATX adapter. I have these automotive plug-pin removers, so I just need to figure out which one works best. And I will use some colored electrical tape to keep me sane.
Slave.jpg

Here is my 600W PSU, it has 2 molex, 4 sata power, and dual 8-pin for GPU.
600W-PSU.jpg

• Wow

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Finished my cable, I didn't have orange tape for the 3.3v, so I used white since the white wire will not be used.
converted.jpg

The motherboard 8pin (2 x 4pin) connector supplies two extra 12v and one ground.
convert2.jpg

So, at least my MDD powers on, where it did not before. Light will come on, then fans go high, no chime, no video. Reseated CPU, tried single DIMM in various slots, same results. Google-Fu tells me I need to supply that 28V line for the video card... so ordered one of these on the cheap.

• Love