Pismo screen

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
I have a Pismo which has been running reasonably well, but last was checked a year or so ago. Now, when attempting to start it up, it generally remains dead, with no chime, power light etc. However, occasionally, it comes up with a lit screen, which looks like this:

IMG_2766.jpg

The 1-inch+ strip down the right-hand side doesn't change at all, and since the hard drive failed, it doesn't boot (but occasionally reaches the question mark icon) which appears in the center of the left-hand area of the screen - so offset to the left, rather than centered.

The keyboard has also been damaged - it looks as if someone has forced it into place when it wasn't correctly located, so it has a bend in it to the right of F8 and down to the right-hand Option key, though I don't think this is likely to be related to the screen problem or the lack of power/boot issues.

Any ideas?

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
Someone has been playing with your Powerbook? As such, I think they need to be talked to regarding proper care and feeding of said powerbook.

Also, I think its likely that the damage to the keyboard is related to the damage to the screen. Unfortunately, screens I have seen with that kind of damage before generally aren't repairable and need to be replaced.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Yep - it's replacement panel time. Luckily, panels are still reasonably available for these, as PC's and industrial machinery used them, too. Pull the panel from the display, get the make and model. I'll help you find a replacement panel.

Reactions: ComputerCompulsive

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Someone has been playing with your Powerbook? As such, I think they need to be talked to regarding proper care and feeding of said powerbook.

Also, I think its likely that the damage to the keyboard is related to the damage to the screen. Unfortunately, screens I have seen with that kind of damage before generally aren't repairable and need to be replaced.
It's been stored elsewhere, so I'm not sure what has been happening to it. I looks the same from the outside, but not when opened. Either that or my memory is going!

I'm not sure how the keyboard and screen might be related in this respect, but I admit that it's a bit of a coincidence if they aren't. That said, on the left, under the keyboard, is the screen interconnect (I think) a fairly narrow orange ribbon, and that is distinctly creased where it bends up under the Pismo's body in front of the screen.

I'm wondering if it's possible to transplant the Pismo logic board into a Lombard I have which is good, except for hinge problems. Or, more reasonably, if Lombard and Pismo parts are interchangeable - maybe the Lombard keyboard and screen, transplanted onto the Pismo?

Yep - it's replacement panel time. Luckily, panels are still reasonably available for these, as PC's and industrial machinery used them, too. Pull the panel from the display, get the make and model. I'll help you find a replacement panel.
That's very kind - I'll put the Pismo on my list of computers to work on!

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I can throw a link to it up in resources or as a thread, won't want to copy the table in directly as I'm not done with it yet, and there's some missing info still. Would make it so that it's harder to update otherwise.