Reproduction RAM cards for Mac Portable

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Hey @techknight - I picked up one of your cards second hand. It kinda works, but sometimes I get a Memory Manager Error and need to reboot. If I select "About Finder" it does this for example. But I tried a few other apps and games and they worked fine. It's not clear how the jumpers should be configured, including the additional blue jumper cable that came with it... I couldn't find any doco anywhere, so hoping you can assist.

IMG_2763.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

Cheers,

Reactions: JDW

techknight

Staff member
Dec 2, 2021
North Carolina
Basic system software doesnt support that amount of RAM or it will crash. This is normal.

You have to have a full install, for the portable install in order for the system software to not crash on About this Macintosh.

Also, the wire is there to connect to the ROM slot /AS when using it on a Backlit portable or it will not see all 8MB of RAM. Also the 7MB cap jumper is there to cap the RAM to a max of 7MB so the backlit portable will work properly. the backlight control occupies the 9th MB of space on the M5126.

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
OK, thanks. I've got a M5120 so I can forget the wire. Sounds like I can leave the jumpers as they are also and just use the Portable system install and it should be golden..

MICHAENTOSH

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
@techknight I bought the 8MB MacEffects card for use with my 5126 but it didn't include the jumper cable or documentation. Can you please tell me where the cable attaches to the RAM Card and then where it attaches to the motherboard? Do you still have any I can get? Do you still have any cards I can get?

techknight

Staff member
Dec 2, 2021
North Carolina
@techknight I bought the 8MB MacEffects card for use with my 5126 but it didn't include the jumper cable or documentation. Can you please tell me where the cable attaches to the RAM Card and then where it attaches to the motherboard? Do you still have any I can get? Do you still have any cards I can get?

Unfortunately the cards are long since EOL, you cannot get the RAM chips anymore, and perhaps even worse, the XC95 series of CPLDs are now slotted for EOL.

It has been awhile, but i think the jumper wire goes over to the /AS signal on the ROM header. But dont quote me on that, since ive not used/made one of those cards in eons.