Some very forceful PC Card Ejection!

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Just wanted to add that my PDQ ejects like it's very angry. First time, when I didn't know to catch it as it departed, it spat the PC Card almost 10 feet across the room!

• Wow
Reactions: Paralel and retr01

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
The blackbird Rev C card cage does the same thing. I must admit I was quite surprised the first time it did so.

I have always wondered why they used such force. Were there cards from that time that were so heavy they needed such force to eject properly?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
giphy.gif

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
The blackbird Rev C card cage does the same thing. I must admit I was quite surprised the first time it did so.

I have always wondered why they used such force. Were there cards from that time that were so heavy they needed such force to eject properly?

I remember being completely unaware of this particular oddity of Macintosh PowerBooks. It surprised the heck out of me the first time I had one spit a card out too! Maybe a really big type III card (that takes up two slots) would need the extra force?

Chartreuse

New Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2023
Calgary, AB, Canada
ckits.ca
My Powerbook G3 Wallstreet/PDQ is much the same. It's always extremely jolting when you reboot the system with a CF card to PCMCIA adapter left in and it ejects it on boot (since it tries to boot from it and fails). It'll send that card across the room if there's not something to stop it.