Sun Plastic case adhesive

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I've come across a nice little Sparcstation 1+ but it has some pieces of the top case that have broken off - before I got it :)

Luckily, I have the pieces and so I'd like to glue them back on to improve the cosmetics as best I can.

I've had recommendations to use either MEK or Xylene as they will create a better bond by "melting/welding" the pieces together, as opposed to something like superglue.

If anyone has words of wisdom or experience to share, please pass it along!

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
I am doing right now the same job on the top lid of my HP 712. Unfortunately, the plastic got brittle and fragile and there’s a crack at one corner of the floppy slit.
I am using epoxy, but alone it won’t suffice, so I am skinning the case from the inside with a thin steel sheet.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
The answer in this particular case was Xylene!

SS1.jpeg
SS1_Ultra1.jpeg
IF the parts fit together tightly, just hold them together and use a fine modelers brush to let capillary action draw the adhesive into the crack. Sets within a minute, and basically as strong as the unbroken plastic within 20 minutes or so.

Not suitable for areas with gaps, but if the fit is tight, it works great - at least on Sun Microsystems cases like a Sparcstation 1+ and an Ultra 1.

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
For hard plastics like ABS the UHU Plast works quite well (it's acetone based), but it can get out of the crack and leave marks on the outside. Also, I usually reinforce the parts from behind with some blister pack plastic also with the same glue.

Reactions: Nitram78

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The answer in this particular case was Xylene!

View attachment 9050View attachment 9051IF the parts fit together tightly, just hold them together and use a fine modelers brush to let capillary action draw the adhesive into the crack. Sets within a minute, and basically as strong as the unbroken plastic within 20 minutes or so.

Not suitable for areas with gaps, but if the fit is tight, it works great - at least on Sun Microsystems cases like a Sparcstation 1+ and an Ultra 1.

Damn - that is a very nice repair - barely notice the crack line!