The Macintosh Minus - pi-powered mini Mac Plus clone with 5" CRT display

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Macintosh Plus and have begun the journey to restore it. While I wait for a keyboard and mouse to arrive, I was inspired to put my unused raspberry pi to use. I've seen miniature Macintosh clones online before; but none have the retro charm of a true CRT display. I have one I recently made a new 3d printed case for and realized it would be perfect for a mini Mac display. A few hours of designing later and I had something to print.

I'm still waiting for the rear of the case to finish printing, I need to paint it all, and I need to get the Apple OS emulator on the Pi.

But for now, enjoy some pictures or the Macintosh Minus v1.

Mac Minus next to a Mac Plus

Tubes and Analog Boards

iPod Touch, iPhone 5&6 comparison

I know it will never be as crisp as the true B&W display Apple uses, but without a shadow mask, these little CRT's can look pretty sharp when well tuned.

The display, displaying.

Rear case printing (28 hours in)

Playing with the 3d model (Mac plus was the wrong scale apparently)

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@vorg
What display is that?

1662168762778.png

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
"I wonder if that is the Coby 5" CRT?"

Bingo!

I also have one branded as a Sylvania, but this one was exactly a Coby.

• Love
Reactions: JDW and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
This just gets better, and more curious! :D
  • Now, what is the weight? 30 percent of the 20 lbs that a compact Mac normally weighs?
  • Can the handle be used to carry physically as you would with a normal compact Mac?
  • Should the Mac bag be downsized as well?

Reactions: vorg

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
Weight? 3-5 lbs is my guess; I'll put it on a kitchen scale when it's all put together again. I'm priming the case for painting and better sanding now.

The handle is a fail in my mind; it works, but it's not deep enough to be comfortable and it's a bit too far back for the weight of the CRT. I may weigh that back down a bit to compensate, but V2 will just have a better designed handle.

The Mac bag should! But first, I need a full sized one, and I want to figure out a smaller keyboard and mouse that look original too.

I'm already thinking about V2; I want (an) SD card reader(s) where the floppy slot is and maybe a USB port on the "wide" part, probably USB-C where the keyboard input should be, and a proper brightness pot where it belongs.

I also need to optimize the supported areas for printing; the bottom vents are completely non-functionally because I can't remove the supports. I was also short sighted on this design so the power switch is inaccessible. I will probably just add some jumpers and move the switch to the back, but that's a bummer to fix in the next one as well.

I'll also probably change the scale of the "chin" overhang. It's perfectly scaled now, but I think I want it scaled like the depth of the case; which is significantly longer by ratio than the real Mac. I think a bigger chin would aid the Mac look despite the added length.

Pic added. Lots of sanding in my fuiture.

Attachments

• IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Weight? 3-5 lbs is my guess; I'll put it on a kitchen scale when it's all put together again. I'm priming the case for painting and better sanding now.

Around 5 lbs, I think. Maybe 6 lbs. See what happens when you weigh it. :)

The handle is a fail in my mind; it works, but it's not deep enough to be comfortable and it's a bit too far back for the weight of the CRT. I may weigh that back down a bit to compensate, but V2 will just have a better designed handle.

And, increase the height from the top of the handle to the bottom of the handle area a bit more, so maybe that can help to grip it better? :sneaky:

The Mac bag should! But first, I need a full sized one, and I want to figure out a smaller keyboard and mouse that look original too.

Oooh! A shrunk-down Mac bag will be fantastic! 🤩

I'll also probably change the scale of the "chin" overhang. It's perfectly scaled now, but I think I want it scaled like the depth of the case; which is significantly longer by ratio than the real Mac. I think a bigger chin would aid the Mac look despite the added length.

Extrude the chin outward and shorten the length from the front below the chin to the back. Would that work? 🤔

Pic added. Lots of sanding in my fuiture.

Where's the pic? 😳

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
Ooops I added it as an attachment, been nearly a decade since I consistently used a web forum format. Here's a better pic with some filler added. That's the only good thing about this heat, paint and primer dry immediately.

IMG_4530.jpg

Nothing like some good old primer to reveal how poorly something actually printed :p

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Cool. :) Resin is a lot more smoother than filament for 3D printing. Yet, resin 3D printers and resin tends to cost more. This article most of it, if not all.

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I have an awesome little Sony Color crt with rca inputs, geez... this better now awaken something in me (mini color classic)

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
Cool. :) Resin is a lot more smoother than filament for 3D printing. Yet, resin 3D printers and resin tends to cost more. This article most of it, if not all.

This thing is pretty big for a resin print; but it might work. I don't know much about their strengths or weaknesses for large flat areas.

Powder from a pro company would probably be the move if I wanted to spend big bucks for a perfect one. Maybe down the line, but for a $5 TV, IDK how worth it that is.

Acetone smoothing seems like my best bet; if I just tune my printer a bit more. I use PETG almost exclusively, so that's a great way to smooth stuff.

Reactions: retr01

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I like it! Great work.

For v.2 go TwiggyMac with the slot, it's a lot more interesting visually and would set your rendition apart from the LCD MiniMacs.

TwiggyMac-from-dead-on-0.jpg

Looks a bit odd due to the length, but if you shallow up sj's chamfer on the back edge, you might be able to hide a good portion of the Tube's length in a thicker BackPaq addition?

post-902-0-80988300-1505437805.jpg

Nice thing about it would be the break in the line at the bottom hiding a bit of the depth. It could provide swingaway door access and printing it as separate part(s) should reduce failed print waste, no?

Got a side view of you model to play with? ;)

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
I have an awesome little Sony Color crt with rca inputs, geez... this better now awaken something in me (mini color classic)
PVM?

If it's an IndexCube, just leave it be, it's already awesome!

vorg

Tinkerer
Sep 3, 2022
I like it! Great work.

For v.2 go TwiggyMac with the slot, it's a lot more interesting visually and would set your rendition apart from the LCD MiniMacs.

View attachment 8519

Looks a bit odd due to the length, but if you shallow up sj's chamfer on the back edge, you might be able to hide a good portion of the Tube's length in a thicker BackPaq addition?

View attachment 8517

Nice thing about it would be the break in the line at the bottom hiding a bit of the depth. It could provide swingaway door access and printing it as separate part(s) should reduce failed print waste, no?

Got a side view of you model to play with? ;)

Genius! The backpack is perfect for hiding the extra length.

Side view (compared to a Macintosh Classic, the only 3d model I could find of a Mac at scale):
Screenshot 2022-09-05 161830.jpg

Update:

2nd primer coat added:

DSC07330editedsmall.jpg

Last edited: