TinkerTips - Tools of the Trades, Arts, Hardware and . . .

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I've got some crazy projects in the works ATM so I decided to start . . . whatever this turns out to be?

Some tips will be very basic, some advanced, some garnered from source materials, experts and hard won experience leavened with some crazy creative problem solving over the years. I made a very good living by coming up with outside the box solutions for the problems of millionaires in the Big Apple, 'nuf said.

As many tools, tips-n-tricks as I could lay my grubby little paws upon before going to work later to hide in a series of pics of several projects in the works: IOW, Where is Waldo?

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

Here are a few in detail:

Flush-Sub-Surface-Bolts-misc-Hardware.JPG

Rolling_Printer_Stand-Converted-Rolling-n-Standing_Equipment-Computer-Station.JPG

Safety 101:

Safety-Hardened_Steel-to-Hardened_Steel.JPG

Never, Ever, ever hit a hardened steel tool with a hardened steel tool!

Abusing the Framing Hammer. Rip Claw inserted gently to remove end skid from bottom of a pallet by whaling away at it with the Ball Peen Hammer. The striking surface of a hammer is called the bell, it's hardened on basic hammers. Peen Bell is not hardened so it's OK to smack the framer.

The flat side of a hammers is called the cheek, it's not hardened and so that surface is used for whacking things like a punch, cold chisel or the like as above on a job site. Framer in one's tool belt would be whacked with the cheek of the framer from a co-worker's belt.

Hardened to hardened steel strikes can shatter one tool or the other, so just don't do it and use eye protection anyway.

edit: Stuff to whack with one hammer and the cheek of the other. So many hammers for so many purposes, check it out online. Fascinating stuff for tool types and for homeowners, you can likely find a list of what you should be looking out for at garage sales, thrifts and the like.

Sledge hammers down through Engineer's Hammers and the light ones in the two to three three pound range we used to call Lump Hammers are for whacking all kinds of things, some are hardened, some not, some made of wood, bound leather or whatnot (never rubber) be careful, know what you're buying, how you use them and for what. Apparently almost anything can be found using that search term.

Hardened_Tool_Safety.JPG

TBC

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Holes -

40_Plus_Years_of_Evolution.JPG

This one covers every section below, but antique stuff and combination tool stuff for which I failed to provide a placeholder. This'll be the last edition of this setup. Gotta finish the two projects sitting on the last one.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tools and methods illustrated in this series were intentionally set dressed to look like a mad Tinkerers surrealistic interpretation of classic editions of the amazing Garret Wade Catalog. Silliness inspired by The Woodwright's Shop episodes my son and I watched every Saturday morning followed by episodes of Wood Carving with Rick Butz in lieu of cartoons.

Craftsman, DeWalt and Harbor Freight Tools motifs are a playful nod to The New Yankee Workshop which may as well have been a Delta Machinery infomercial. Down and dirty tips-n-tricks for Neanderthaler level projects that just happend to be in progress are crude, adaptive and dirt cheap to all but zero cost projects repurposing thrifted, recycling center dumpster liberated materials thumbs my nose at that show. Norm seems to have spent more money on materials for jigs to use wildly expensive tools for episode projects than most Tinkerers spend on their actual projects, or so it seemed to me.

At any rate, I'll try to keep this thread in mind for documenting upcoming projects, show previous projects and keep fleshing out the details of what's done to this Father's Day 2022.

Keep in mind that everything to this date has been done in or on the terrace of a two bedroom apartment. Concrete floor of second bedroom workshop compliments of catastrophic water heater failure thirteen months ago. Three projects are for swapping the wheels or putting wheels under everything without for rollout and re-carpeting the last bare floor I'll be missing very much . . .

_______________________________________________________________ jt 6/19/2022

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Sorry, being relatively serious in this one guys. Won't be doing welding tips, been there, done that, not my thing***. I've also wired up three phase for my Unisaw but won't go into that kind of thing either. Some stuff is a lot more dangerous that whacking this with the wrong that.

Meanwhile, I've been adding updates above and documenting more as I go along for posting. But edits don't show up as new content, thanks for reviving this thread.

*** a homebrew spot welding setup for doing tabbed battery builds might be a very good thing for the two of you to track down out in the wilds of the web. ;)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Could you edit a message you posted earlier in a thread? Is there some limit or something that complicates updating your message in a thread?

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Not that I know of, this place is way more trusting about edits and deletions than the MLA's 45 minute time limit. Just remove what you feel might be off topic (ill conscieved) or fix grammar and spelling errors when you catch them later on. Is that right, mods?

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Or modding compact Mac's internal metal frame? 😬
That'd be a nibbler for metal removal, a seamer for bends and a pop rivet gun for easily done/undone/redone connections. Check out the marking stuff pics above and you'll see a 1/8" stub drill bit that's almost full up with drilled out pop rivet heads. Those short bits are used in sheet metal and iron work to reduce breakage/mishaps.

I've still got all those tools in pneumatic or pneumatic/hydraulic form right here in the triple decker you see in the pics. Most often I reach for the nice assortment of manual tools in the sheet metal tool bucket though. Should I post that along with the other toolboxes/content pics?

I wasn't going to get into sheet metal or iron working in this thread, that's industrial, not Homeowner/DIY kinda stuff for this forum?

Last edited: