Today’s Project - Indigo

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Needs at least a TOD battery. Missing drive sled, but I can use external SCSI until I get that from my friend.

Attachments

• 800ACDD2-7EEC-4424-BD9C-782C4B85FAED.jpeg
    800ACDD2-7EEC-4424-BD9C-782C4B85FAED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I went a slightly different direction, but it works!

I've used a lot of Glitch's boards like that on my old Suns.

Attachments

• Indigo_Batt.jpeg
    Indigo_Batt.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 72

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Turns out I have the wrong keyboard/mouse combo.
🙁
Anyone have SGI keyboard 9500801 and/or mouse 9150800 they want to part with. Drakware is sold out of his Indigo/USB converters.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I found one from a US seller a while back. While that solved the keyboard issue, the next issue is that the power supply will start the machine, but then the machine locks up after a few minutes, and won't start again until the PS is left unplugged for a couple of hours.

That project was pushed off the bench, but should be coming back soon...

Reactions: Ubik

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
So - current behavior seems to be that from an unplugged/unpowered state, I can plug in the machine and hit the power button, and the machine will chime and begin to boot. There's no disk in it, so it comes up to the 1st graphical screen asking you what you want to do.

Very soon after, the machine will lock up - no mouse or keyboard action is recognized. If you then unplug the machine and plug it back in, it won't chime nor power up in any way.

If you unplug the machine and leave it unplugged over night, it will then act as above, starting up and then hanging not long thereafter.

This feels like a power supply/power management issue to me, but it seems odd that you have to leave the machine unpowered to get it to work. What would there be in a power supply or power management circuit that could cause that? Or - could it be that some component is overheating and requires time to cool before it will work again?

Open to any ideas!

CrimsonRE

New Tinkerer
Jan 13, 2023
Virginia, USA
Almost certainly a power supply issue - unless the Indigo was kept in a nice cool place and regularly exercised, the capacitors in the PS are likely failing. There may be details of replacing these in the www.irixnet.org forums. That site and sgi.sh are the two main SGI online groups, lots of knowledge and resources, both hardware and software, available there....

Reactions: ScutBoy

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Almost certainly a power supply issue - unless the Indigo was kept in a nice cool place and regularly exercised, the capacitors in the PS are likely failing. There may be details of replacing these in the www.irixnet.org forums. That site and sgi.sh are the two main SGI online groups, lots of knowledge and resources, both hardware and software, available there....

Yup - I think you saw the other thread where I inherited two other Indigos - I'm hoping I can come up with one good one! I will have to pull apart one of the power supplies and see if I can come up with a good list of caps to order, and see if any of the other components look iffy.

CrimsonRE

New Tinkerer
Jan 13, 2023
Virginia, USA
Hmmm, I failed to ask if the fan spins when you power the machine up? If not, then it will definitely overheat (for my most elderly PowerSeries beast, a 4D/120, the fans no longer work so I keep the back panel down and a fan pointed inside - it has a temperature sensor). Does the display go blank when it "locks up"? I'm trying to remember the behavior of my Indigo when I've had "issues"....