Trading post links require an off-site visitor to log into an account to view

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
The trading post here requires that a visitor be logged in to view the link.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to lock out non-members from viewing what is being offered here.

Is there a policy reason as to why that part of the forum is locked down from viewing ?

Reactions: Alf Torp

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Yes, it's quite simple really - it takes very little time to register for an account here. Trading here is a privilege, not a right.

For the safety of members and to cut down on spam, we decided that it's prudent to allow trading between members only.

One of the other reasons why this section is unavailable to be indexed is so eBay scammers wouldn't find it and resell stuff.

Also the general idea is if you're selling something through here, surely it's to be advertised to the userbase that's here - not just a convenient place to post something for sale to avoid eBay fees.

Other forums also employ the same or similar methods and tactics to protect their userbase.

If you're wanting to post regular items for sale here - such as products, i'd recommend perhaps a section in Friends of TinkerDifferent?

I hope that clears up any confusion :)

Last edited:

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
To clarify too, if an account is less than 28 days old we manually approve any threads in that section (we've never not approved one) but same reason, to avoid scammers/spammers/resellers. I personally like the trade section being a privilege - I know the people I'm selling to will actually use/enjoy the things I'm selling for a reasonable price instead of reselling on eBay. And the same for buying - I know it's someone who will be trusted in the community to accurately represent what they are selling.

I agree that Friends of TD is a good place for vendors to post publicly and be indexed.

There was no policy around this but was made early on when we were initially setting up the forums/sub forums. I think it's clarified in the https://tinkerdifferent.com/pages/trading-guidelines/ now.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
To clarify too, if an account is less than 28 days old we manually approve any threads in that section (we've never not approved one) but same reason, to avoid scammers/spammers/resellers. I personally like the trade section being a privilege - I know the people I'm selling to will actually use/enjoy the things I'm selling for a reasonable price instead of reselling on eBay. And the same for buying - I know it's someone who will be trusted in the community to accurately represent what they are selling.

I agree that Friends of TD is a good place for vendors to post publicly and be indexed.

There was no policy around this but was made early on when we were initially setting up the forums/sub forums. I think it's clarified in the https://tinkerdifferent.com/pages/trading-guidelines/ now.

I can fully understand and appreciate that members who post here are doing so as a privilege, and that posting here should require account registration with a history. I can also appreciate that you would encourage those who want to sell something and be contacted, that the contact between buyer and seller should be done so on-site, and the intended buyer(s) need to register an account in order to contact the seller. Posts there that would include off-site links and email addresses wouldn't be desired/allowed.

What I don't understand is why viewing of those posts requires account registration. When a member here posts something for sale, and then reaches out to someone in the public (who isn't a TD member) with a link inviting them to view the item for sale, that public member must first register just to view the item for sale. I would think that simply viewing what is for sale and requiring an account to contact the member would encourage more people to join.

Secondly, I was not aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, of the policy and procedure for being on the 'Friends of TinkerDifferent' section. From what I can tell, navigating the site, there is no way for someone to post a new section there, and that it appears to be 'invite-only'. If selling a product (not just a one-of-a-kind item) means I should be posting there, why wasn't this addressed when I made my 'for sale' post initially, which was approved? If members are encouraged to list their products in 'Friends of' section, that should be made clear to members posting. Additionally, if this is the suggested place for a product offered for sale, why aren't other members who sell a 'product' having their own sections?

Perhaps, if you want sellers of products to have a 'Friends of TD' section, that should be addressed in the 'Trading Guidelines' link you mention, to provide clarity as to what the section is. If this is mentioned somewhere, please let me know, as so far I have not seen any guideline for the 'Friends' section.

I am trying to address this concern as a user of the site, and therefore I am posting my concerns here as 'feedback'.

skate323k137

Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
I actually really appreciate forums which keep the market as a privilege, require login for it, and not indexed on google. It helped a lot in the arcade scene to keep parts amongst a nice community at affordable prices. That ship has pretty much sailed, but on the more widely known public forums, the markets got run over with crazy prices and aliex sellers signing up to peddle stuff.

This is just my 2c as well.

Reactions: Kai Robinson

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Definitely needs to be closed from viewing by lurkers. Nasty things happened over the years at the MLA despite the TP being a closed system.

I feel lucky to be able to view pics I post full size here when I'm at work and can't log on. That's something I can no longer do at the MLA for whatever reason.

Seeins pics others post here is what got me interested in the so many projects you folks are up to over here.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Secondly, I was not aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, of the policy and procedure for being on the 'Friends of TinkerDifferent' section. From what I can tell, navigating the site, there is no way for someone to post a new section there, and that it appears to be 'invite-only'

I don't believe we've documented any procedure yet (but should and will). Defiantly not invite only - more so if you want in, ask! It's purposefully called "friends of" as we had it called "approved vendors" - but thought that would imply we did some vetting of the vendors, which we don't want to be in the business of doing.

If selling a product (not just a one-of-a-kind item) means I should be posting there, why wasn't this addressed when I made my 'for sale' post initially, which was approved? If members are encouraged to list their products in 'Friends of' section, that should be made clear to members posting.

Why wasn't it addressed before? I don't know. There's a fuzzy line between building a few things to trade and selling a product. Seems like you may be moving closer to being a vendor vs just building a few things to trade, which is fine. That's why the discussion is happening now. There was no approval of the original post afaik, your account was over 28 days old. Also we can easily move a thread if need be.

Additionally, if this is the suggested place for a product offered for sale, why aren't other members who sell a 'product' having their own sections?

Why don't other members have a have a product section? I don't know, you'd have to ask them. I sell BlueSCSI's but I don't have a section, and don't really have a desire to have one, but that's just me.

--

I concur with all the other sentiment with not wanting it listed on google/etc. Just a defense in depth to keep members trades something in the community and safe.

Reactions: Mr. Fahrenheit

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I don't believe we've documented any procedure yet (but should and will). Defiantly not invite only - more so if you want in, ask! It's purposefully called "friends of" as we had it called "approved vendors" - but thought that would imply we did some vetting of the vendors, which we don't want to be in the business of doing.

Why wasn't it addressed before? I don't know. There's a fuzzy line between building a few things to trade and selling a product. Seems like you may be moving closer to being a vendor vs just building a few things to trade, which is fine. That's why the discussion is happening now. There was no approval of the original post afaik, your account was over 28 days old. Also we can easily move a thread if need be.

Why don't other members have a have a product section? I don't know, you'd have to ask them. I sell BlueSCSI's but I don't have a section, and don't really have a desire to have one, but that's just me.

--

I concur with all the other sentiment with not wanting it listed on google/etc. Just a defense in depth to keep members trades something in the community and safe.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I hadn't thought about the google indexing thing. Thanks.