Upgrading from HDD to SSD - how to migrate data?

alex_santos

New Tinkerer
Sep 25, 2021
Hello

So I have a titanium PB G4. I just purchased an SSD and plan on doing the drive swap soon but before I do I am a little lost on how I image (backup) the data on the original HDD and transfer it to the SSD.

On OS X I would do a time machine backup and then use Migration assistant to move it all from the backup drive to the new drive.

I am not at all clear on how I can do this with Mac OS 9.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Unlike OSX and modern MacOS, OS9 doesnt need cloning software. Just drag the source hard drive icon and drop onto the destination SSD icon. A bootable copy of the spinner installation will be copied to the SSD. Once its done, you can swap em out.

alex_santos

New Tinkerer
Sep 25, 2021
Thank you!

The art of simplicity. By the way, will I need to bless the System Folder? As I remember it, if applicable, it involves moving the System or Finder item in and out of the System Folder. This was last done by me a generation ago. :)

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
In most instances you can bless the System Folder just by opening and closing it. Certainly try that first.

AeroZenoX3

New Tinkerer
Sep 17, 2023
United States
Hello

So I have a titanium PB G4. I just purchased an SSD and plan on doing the drive swap soon but before I do I am a little lost on how I image (backup) the data on the original HDD and transfer it to the SSD.

On OS X I would do a time machine backup and then use Migration assistant to move it all from the backup drive to the new drive.

I am not at all clear on how I can do this with Mac OS 9.
I’m looking for a ssd for my PowerBook G4 where did you get yours from?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I
I’m looking for a ssd for my PowerBook G4 where did you get yours from?
I ended up using those white Msata 2.5 pata enclosure + some random cheap msata I had around for my powerbooks when they were alive. Something like this.

+

In my case, I had some 32gb msata yanked out of some dead tablets that I used but yeah, for $40 shipped you could have a sizable 128gb SSD pata solution for old powerbook/ibooks. The units I put together worked in everything I had as well from 17powerbooks down to 12powerbooks and ibooks. Now getting into one of those is a pain in the rear but is not too hard as long as you take your time and dont try and muscle the connectors. Take your time and you'll be fine. One thing I did notice is they gave off IMO more heat, so if you have a unit that is already hot (and sensitive to that ie: crashing etc.) as these can be - especially the 12s, IME spinners did run a bit cooler than ssds.

Last edited:

AeroZenoX3

New Tinkerer
Sep 17, 2023
United States
I

I ended up using those white Msata 2.5 pata enclosure + some random cheap msata I had around for my powerbooks when they were alive. Something like this.

+

In my case, I had some 32gb msata yanked out of some dead kindles that I used but yeah, for $40 shipped you could have a sizable 128gb SSD pata solution for old powerbook/ibooks. The units I put together worked in everything I had as well from 17powerbooks down to 12powerbooks and ibooks. Now getting into one of those is a pain in the rear but is not too hard as long as you take your time and dont try and muscle the connectors. Take your time and you'll be fine. One thing I did notice is they gave off IMO more heat, so if you have a unit that is already hot (and sensitive to that ie: crashing etc.) as these can be - especially the 12s, IME spinners did run a bit cooler.
Thank you. I’ll definitely take my time