Use of Google Workspace

alex_santos

New Tinkerer
Sep 25, 2021
Hi

Thanks for putting this forum together!

Looks like the idea below may be applicable if Tinkerdifferent is considered as a non-profit by google. https://www.google.com/nonprofits/offerings/workspace/, https://support.google.com/nonprofits/answer/3215869?hl=en&ref_topic=3247288

I went through the few youtube videos that you have up and although I wasn't present while it was live I have been thinking about some of the goals and wanted to intersect some of those with my own work experience workflows.

So amongst many other tools, at the global organization that I work at we use Google Workspace and I had never really used it in the past but having worked with it now for circa 2 months it has grown on me as a truly unique platform that has incredible value. It is easy to use, multi-purpose and has a rich set of attributes that make it very well versed for hosting data and for collaboration.

I was thinking about Tinkerdifferent and some of the goals, needs and wishes for this space. I feel as though Google Workspace offers many tools that are natural fits for what Tinkerdifferent wants to achieve. Although I don't know in any great detail what the direction is I have a general sense.

I think the gSheets would be great for hosting data related to various platforms, software, hardware and other aspects of all the platforms we love. This could be used to host that sort of data; spreadsheets on software, hardware, compatibility, system requirements and so much more. It could be shared with everyone as read only but some could be given permissions to edit content.

In terms of the live videos on Youtube I acknowledge that this is tremendously easy to use but you could think about hosting a calendar in Workspace. The calendar could be made read only and host any live events you intend to have. You may even want to invited people through the calendar for video presentations, allowing people to create events to talk about hardware issues, projects, ideas, walkthroughs/demos, etc and although the video room could perceptually become very populated with people joining in, it could be used as small rooms for these discussions. The videos could be recorded and posted on youtube. I believe posting a calendar event on say, fixing a Powerbook 2400s green light of death (as an example), could attract a specific group of people who are interested in this model and issue and they could amongst themselves organize a discussion around this, record the discussion and later post it on youtube for everyone to enjoy and learn from. Perhaps, after such an event, folks could contribute documents, articles, links etc to a Google workspace spreadsheet that could eventually lead to a wiki, something I hear is of some interest in potentially putting out there.

I wonder if any of this is potentially of interest and how you might envision the use of this tool for the community to take advantage of. Maybe other options can be explored or considered.

Best
—Alex Santos

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
One of the big plus' for TD was that it wasn't on Facebook nor does it require a google account..

Although I do currently have a google account I'm trying to reduce my dependance on google. I would prefer to keep TD totally separated from any social network.

as a user, I would prefer TD uses wiki / cal / or whatever, that is not tied into google or Facebook or any site of that sort. Be great if it was just in one of the tabs at the top.

thats My .02