Video?

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
Is there a direct upload format for video, or is video sharing only possible via external server, like YouTube or some other content host? I tried direct .mp4, but the file was not visible, etc.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @BFEXTU, are you able to convert to .mov from .mp4? I can see .mov files when attaching to a post. YouTube is more straightforward, though. Some of us on here like the subtitles. :)

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
Video uploading / streaming is something we can look at on the next meeting, there are several aspects to take into consideration - the biggest being space and bandwidth.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Video uploading / streaming is something we can look at on the next meeting, there are several aspects to take into consideration - the biggest being space and bandwidth.

Yeah. I advocate using YouTube or other services and linking there to help TinkerDifferent manage space/bandwidth. It's an excellent way to contribute to TinkerDifferent as well. :) Those services compress the data and use less bandwidth. Data storage and bandwidth resources are becoming finite as the world is now in the zettabytes range of data usage.

Data storage and bandwidth jobs continue to be high in demand; unfortunately, we do not have enough people to keep up. IC shortages and related supply chain problems to the raw materials (i.e., sand) are not helping. That is scary as that could lead to a catastrophic domino effect of this and not working or having technical problems due to lack of maintenance. Technology is not self-repairing. 😒

Last edited:

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I'd second the idea of using a third-party solution like YouTube or Vimeo. The conversion process for creating the different sizes is going to take up a lot of resources and space. It's already been done. Let someone else handle it.