Where to get ZIP VRAM for NuBus Radius DirectColor video card

bcl

New Tinkerer
I have a DirectColor card with only the soldered-in 8 × 1 Mbit RAM (i.e., it's a DirectColor/8 with 1 MB VRAM). I would like to make it a DirectColor/24 with 3 MB VRAM but I can't figure out where to get ZIP VRAM chips. I presume nobody has made them for a long time, but does anyone know where there might be some NOS available?

Attachments

• WIN_20240305_21_22_14_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240305_21_22_14_Pro.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 24

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Here are some - pricey though:

These are a bargain for 3 pieces:

Looks like almost all 1mbit ZIP28 RAM is 256k x 4-bit multi port DRAM.

OKI MSM514262 would also likely work.

Last edited:

bcl

New Tinkerer
Here are some - pricey though:

These are a bargain for 3 pieces:

Looks like almost all 1mbit ZIP28 RAM is 256k x 4-bit multi port DRAM.

OKI MSM514262 would also likely work.
These are Micron, but does it appear to be the same thing? I know less than nothing about DRAM that's not on a SIMM.

I'm going to ask the seller to confirm it's 13 of them for that price, because the photo shows 2 and it says 23 available. 13 seems like a strange quantity to be in a tube from the factory, but maybe these are repacked.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Most DRAM in the same packaging are the same type of DRAM - JEDEC defined pinouts at least. Very few, if any RAM manufacturers choose to ignore the JEDEC standards.

bcl

New Tinkerer
Most DRAM in the same packaging are the same type of DRAM - JEDEC defined pinouts at least. Very few, if any RAM manufacturers choose to ignore the JEDEC standards.
Well I ordered enough for the two video cards I could immediately find that use it and aren't fully populated. It should be here tomorrow. The price was by far the lowest I could find. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and we'll see if this works.

Reactions: Kai Robinson

bcl

New Tinkerer
I added 16 ZIPs to the DirectColor/8 card. Before, Monitors control panel offered 256 colors. Now it offers Millions of colors (identifies as DirectColor/24). However, I did the same with a RasterOps 8L and nothing changed. The ROM on the Radius DirectColor card is labeled as "DIR. COL. 8/24," which suggests the card self identifies as one or the other based on how much VRAM is installed. The RasterOps ROM is labeled as just 8L, so it might need a different ROM chip to do 24-bit. On the other hand, one of the new VRAM chips might be bad or something else.

Reactions: Kai Robinson