Winter Project (Indigo)

Woodengamer

New Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
So I have these two little beauties that I am hoping to work on over the winter. I will put updates in this thread as things progress. I haven't tried booting them yet, but was told they do not boot. Plan to try swapping power supplies, swapping boards, re-seating boards, replacing the battery for the timekeeper chip, etc..

Attachments

• 20210919_135311.jpg
    20210919_135311.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83

JeffC

Tinkerer
Sep 26, 2021
Seattle, WA
I'm looking forward to the updates as well, some years back I had a couple SGI machines I really regret selling, it's nice to see someone bringing them back to life.

CrimsonRE

New Tinkerer
Jan 13, 2023
Virginia, USA
So did you have any time/luck getting one of these running? I did the exact same thing last winter (Jan-Feb 2022). I had one R4k upgraded all the way to 150MHz R44k with Elan graphics that had PS issues some years back. At that time I found 2 more Indigos, got'em shipped to me - and then dropped the whole project under a table for years (changed jobs, kiddo came along, the usual). I found the time/motivation and got new batteries installed, PS's tested/swapped around, disks/IRIX installed, and now have 2 nice R44k Indigos running (Elan & XZ-24S gfx). One other is in the pipeline....

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
So did you have any time/luck getting one of these running? I did the exact same thing last winter (Jan-Feb 2022). I had one R4k upgraded all the way to 150MHz R44k with Elan graphics that had PS issues some years back. At that time I found 2 more Indigos, got'em shipped to me - and then dropped the whole project under a table for years (changed jobs, kiddo came along, the usual). I found the time/motivation and got new batteries installed, PS's tested/swapped around, disks/IRIX installed, and now have 2 nice R44k Indigos running (Elan & XZ-24S gfx). One other is in the pipeline....
I inherited these from @Woodengamer but have yet to dig in. I'm hoping one of these might be a suitable organ donor for a R4K Indigo I have with a flakey power supply.

Would gladly trade them all for a working Octane; I decided that's the one SGI machine I really want. Maybe someday :)

CrimsonRE

New Tinkerer
Jan 13, 2023
Virginia, USA
Octane would be nice, for sure. I've tried - have 2 non-functioning ones, perhaps damaged during shipment, they are quite heavy, need to be packed very carefully. And those wierd weird connectors for the motherboard don't help things at all... I hope you have some good luck finding one! I'm going to have to be content with the Indigos, Personal Irises, Indigo^2's, an O2, and several PowerSeries beasts...