Wondrous networked (LAN or remote!) disk volume, easy setup!

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Link: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_NetDrive.html
vogons thread with author participating: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97743

From the creator of the mTCP suite of tools which lets MS-DOS vintage PCs connect to the internet, have a DHCP dispensed ip address, host a FTP server and much more....

The new functonality is this:

A modern PC hosts a diskette or hard disk virtual volume
+
a vintage MSDOS PC accesses it through a LAN, or remotely and treats it exactly as if it were a local drive.

I tested the throughput speed of this by trying it out with video heavy games (FMV) such as Cyberia which comes into a single CD, or even Phantasmagoria (7 CDs, but the first loads well and the intro is watchable). I put them into .ISO format inside the .DSK volume. I used SHSUCDX to mount them as CD-ROM drives, like I do normally with .ISO I copy over. But the kicker this time, is that I can happily let the .ISOs sit outside of my MS-DOS PC machine, unclogging it significantly! (remember, MSDOS hard disk partitions are limited to 2GB and even if you use a modern day uSD card as storage, you'll still be limited to 4x2GB for a total a bit under 8GB of total storage).

1702586377992.png

1702586394294.png

More details:

1) You host either a hard disk volume (.DSK format) or a diskette volume (various formats are supported, even the very old ones) and launch a modern-side NETDRIVE with SERVE as a parameter. From that moment, by default, the content of the same folder that contains NETDRIVE.EXE are fair game for access by the vintage side.

2) the vintage side has to name which remote volume it wants to mount and a new drive letter will be assigned to it. It can look as simple as:
NETDRIVE remoteOrLanPCName : portnumber virtualvolume.dsk d:

The creator this tool (brutman) is temporarily hosting drives of his own which you can access remotely, for a time, to stress test the internet remote network drive functionality. I went ahead a peeked inside:

1702586489283.png

I went ahead and ran a bunch of programs, took a nice curated collection of utilities. It feels so wickedly like old times to browse someone else's HD.

1702586535658.png

(TheDraw is an ANSI drawing/animation program which was often used to produce BBS greet screen or interface menu animations)

Last edited:

Stinkerton18

Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Sooo, I did finally get my PCI NIC working and managed to get NetDrive working. I ran into a couple of challenges.
  1. In MSDOS, SYS.COM just does NOT want to work on the netdrive. I can treat it as a plain storage volume, even format it, but thoughts of having it be a bootable/system drive to copy all the files over and make the local drive(s) bootable does not seem to be an option.
  2. It seems the drive images made by Disk Jockey/dd in Linux don't seem to work/be servable from netdrive. It throws disk header errors.
What I was hoping I could do is build a bootable floppy, with the packet drivers and netdrive client, to boot a DOS machine off of, connect to my configured/built drive, and tools to use as a source to set up machines. I'm curious if anyone else has tried to use a BlueSCSI/PiSCSI drive image as a served "source" and/or tools disk.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
New version that was out this week, here's the post:

The next version of mTCP NetDrive is available. This version (2024-02-18) adds support for multiple drive letters so you can connect to several images from different servers at the same time.

• If you can use FAT16B you can add up to 48 GB of storage across 24 drive letters. (FAT12 users are limited to 768MB.)
  • Each additional drive letter costs 96 bytes in the device driver and 48 bytes in DOS. Even fully maxed out it requires only 9KB of RAM + the space for the packet driver.
  • No changes to the server side .. everything is compatible.
See http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_NetDrive.html for details.

=========
=========

Also, for managing .IMG files, a great Windows utility was discussed in Vogons, I'll be testing it out:

Arsenal Image Mounter (https://arsenalrecon.com/downloads). Free for personal use.

Can create .IMG, copy files to it. It seems like this will replace WinImager in my mind.

Reactions: Eric's Edge