Wonky/Mis-Aligned Screen on iBook G4 12" (1.33GHz)

haydonbeagley

Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2021
United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
Hi all,

Looking for some ideas/solutions for this lovely 12" iBook G4 I got recently. The machine works well but ever since I've had it and even before I got it from a friend it never has shut correctly.

It'll latch shut but the smallest tap and it'll spring back open. The LCD (1st Photo) does look like it's more tilted towards the right hand side. I have taken this Mac apart and couldn't see any damaged stand-offs or cracked plastics.

Whilst I was in there I did remove the PRAM Capacitor for safety as it was starting to look a little rough around the edges.

Cheers in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4987.jpeg
    IMG_4987.jpeg
    955.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4989.jpeg
    IMG_4989.jpeg
    909.5 KB · Views: 75

rollmastr

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
The LCD frame/hinge assembly on these is a cast part that likes to break which would cause this issue. I've replaced it with a good used part on my old 12" iBook G4. You have to take pretty much the whole machine apart to do this.

IMG_3402.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg

Reactions: haydonbeagley

haydonbeagley

Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2021
United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
The LCD frame/hinge assembly on these is a cast part that likes to break which would cause this issue. I've replaced it with a good used part on my old 12" iBook G4. You have to take pretty much the whole machine apart to do this.

View attachment 1844View attachment 1843
Funnily enough when I opened mine to clean the vents I noticed the frame by the battery bay was cracked/broken. So I think a new frame is needed - something to look into more in the new year.

Reactions: KingDingus