Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Hello,

I'm looking for a driver or software package that shipped with the Newer Technology SCSI Dart, a RAM disk drive. Any leads would be great!

I've checked the usual places, but nothing so far. It is also possible it could carry an odd name.

IMG_7567.jpeg

IMG_9341.jpg

Thanks,
-Steven

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
I saw you got this working already, so I fully expect a video update shortly ;)

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Yes!

The issue was four of the RAM modules were not playing happy with the system. I also had to figure out how the device worked.

When it gets power, the "Ready" light blinks once or twice. If that light turns off and the "Access" light blinks 4 times, then there is an issue with the modules installed or their configuration in the slots.

If instead when it gets power, the "Ready" light blinks once or twice, and then the lights are off, this means that it is counting the memory and doing some type of check. Once the test passes, the "Ready" light goes solid. Then you can switch on your computer and access the drive.

The drive needs to be formatted before you'll even get a prompt to initialize the disk. I was able to use the patched Apple SC HD software, Lido, and SCSI Director Pro 4 to successfully format the disk. The disk seems fairly quick, but any speed tests I use seem to confuse it, causing the system to freeze.

Reactions: ScutBoy

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Mac84
So, were you really able to cut 4 to 10 hours of database file reindexing down to only 10 minutes?
:)

Seriously, if you have a video out on that I would love to see it. Didn't find it on your channel page when I checked just now, but maybe I over looked it. One video I did find though is totally unrelated but excellent, about Ventura vs. Monterey System Preferences. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that way. You shared my sentiments exactly!