Snooper serial loopback plug

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
You can prevent ResEdit from trying to display thumbnails of the list of PICT resources (and therefore maybe crashing if there’s junk in there) by opening the “PICT” resource type icon while holding down the Shift key, or by typing Shift-Return. This gives the list at left, you can see “plus”, “classic”, etc. which I presume ought to be the PICTs for each bare logic board.
Shift-Return merely opened the PICT resource with the same View by PICT setting. However, it doesn't crash immediately when I first open it, which gave me a chance to click the View menu and choose "by Name" -- that avoids the crash.

I also don't see an "Open Template..." command. However, in the Resource menu in ResEdit, there is a similar one named "Open Using Template..." That presents me with a dialog box with PICT selected by default. If I merely OK that, it then shows me text data like Size, Rect & Opcodes (which is what your first screenshot shows). When I try to close that dialog, it gives me an "Invalid rectangle" dialog and asks "Save it anyway?" If I click No, it merely shows me the Size/Rect/Opcodes dialog again and won't close it.

The problem with taking CMD-Shift-3 screenshots to get those pictures is that I can only get Snooper 2 to display the logic board pic tied to the given Mac I am using. So when I load Snooper 2 on my SE/30, it shows me that logic board pic, and I don't see any option to switch it to another Mac. So maybe someone out there has every supported Mac in his collection, and he could then run Snooper on each of them to take all those individual screenshots, but that is quite a lot of work and would take some time to do.

With that said, I sincerely appreciate your interest in solving this mysterious problem, Crutch!

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
Gotcha, that makes sense. And sorry yes, I meant “Open Using Template…”. My point was merely that it’s possible to investigate what’s going on with these PICTs without ResEdit crashing. It doesn’t help you recover the images, because I don’t think these are actually PICTs. It’s some other type of image resource data stored as a PICT.

Reactions: JDW

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
Maybe we can just all rally to provide as many individual screenshots as we can? After all, it sounds like they are creating each logic board image on the fly from a template of pieces, rather than individual PICTs of each one (the file size for which would add up fast one imagines).

• Love
Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Maybe we can just all rally to provide as many individual screenshots as we can? After all, it sounds like they are creating each logic board image on the fly from a template of pieces, rather than individual PICTs of each one (the file size for which would add up fast one imagines).
Although Bruce is probably happy about the extra attention brought to this thread with each subsequent post, it is only right and proper that I start a new thread to address that, which I have done here:

Sorry, @Branchus !
😅