Urgent help needed for my Powerbook 170!!!

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
I think you’re over thinking it a bit.
Just chuck the panel in the oven, on a tray or on a rack it doesn’t matter. Preheat or non preheat it doesn’t matter. Keep it below 100°C and bake for as long as you have patience for. Longer the better. Take care with reassembly getting everything realigned correctly, this is probably the trickiest part.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Ok thanks mate, I will see how things go.
If I don't mind me asking though, would it be worthwhile getting another Powerbook 170? The description says it is for parts not working, but the story is that it was working perfectly, until it fell off of a shelf and landed on hard wood flooring. It looks to be in overall good nick, but I was wondering if I should grab it, even as just a parts machine? It is quite cheap.

I'm asking this because I am quite tight on funds at the moment amd I don't want to let this chance pass me by.

I would like to have an answer ASAP please.

Screenshot_20231202_145500_eBay.jpg

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Plastics and hinges are shot from the looks but it could make a good parts unit if nothing on the boards got damaged.
So you think that it is still a good opportunity? Because it also looks like the screen is good and it would be good to have a spare screen incase mine breaks or something like that. Same goes for other components. And also I have been having a bit of trouble with my screen bezel reassembly and troubleshooting my one, so I was thinking that this might help me with all that.

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
Depends if it’s worth it to you at $75. Hard to say if bits will be useful or not, although I’d almost guarantee the plastic standoffs are mostly broken. If the LCD panel is fine then it’s probably useful. I try not to pay more than $50 for a non working parts machine.

By the way dude, finishing every message on here with a desperate call for replies cause you’re in a massive hurry probably isn’t helpful. If you can’t relax and enjoy the hobby then it just sounds like it’s stressful to you. Retro is the long game. I’ve waited years to find the correct parts at the correct prices. We’ll all reply and help you out when we can but no one’s going to respond to time pressure to give you free advice.

Hope the parts machine works out!
👍

Reactions: Cyclone740

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Depends if it’s worth it to you at $75. Hard to say if bits will be useful or not, although I’d almost guarantee the plastic standoffs are mostly broken. If the LCD panel is fine then it’s probably useful. I try not to pay more than $50 for a non working parts machine.

By the way dude, finishing every message on here with a desperate call for replies cause you’re in a massive hurry probably isn’t helpful. If you can’t relax and enjoy the hobby then it just sounds like it’s stressful to you. Retro is the long game. I’ve waited years to find the correct parts at the correct prices. We’ll all reply and help you out when we can but no one’s going to respond to time pressure to give you free advice.

Hope the parts machine works out!
👍
Thanks for the advice mate. Sorry about always seeming to be in a hurry. I have both ASD and ADHD, so I can get quite hung up on certain things very easily, and also I don't really have the greatest understanding of social interactions. Sorry about any negative feelings I might have caused you to have, thank you for taking the time and patience to bring it to my attention, and how I can also improve, it is honestly greatly appreciated, and I will take the advice onboard and work on improving my approach to things like this in the future.

Also if it is worth anything, I am also coming here from other forum websites, where a responce can take a good few days to come around on average. I honestly am still not quite used to how quick and helpful the community is on here. I don't want this to be seen as me making excuses, I just wanted to give a little background understanding on why I might have acted the way I have.

Again I want to say thank you for your help in telling me where I can improve and why, along with how, I will certainly be working on taking these lessons to heart.

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
Thanks for the advice mate. Sorry about always seeming to be in a hurry. I have both ASD and ADHD, so I can get quite hung up on certain things very easily, and also I don't really have the greatest understanding of social interactions. Sorry about any negative feelings I might have caused you to have, thank you for taking the time and patience to bring it to my attention, and how I can also improve, it is honestly greatly appreciated, and I will take the advice onboard and work on improving my approach to things like this in the future.

Also if it is worth anything, I am also coming here from other forum websites, where a responce can take a good few days to come around on average. I honestly am still not quite used to how quick and helpful the community is on here. I don't want this to be seen as me making excuses, I just wanted to give a little background understanding on why I might have acted the way I have.

Again I want to say thank you for your help in telling me where I can improve and why, along with how, I will certainly be working on taking these lessons to heart.
All good my friend, and I certainly didn’t mean anything negative by it. It’s a great and helpful community, and you’re welcome to be a part of it! Let us know how the parts machine turned out.

Reactions: Cyclone740

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
All good my friend, and I certainly didn’t mean anything negative by it. It’s a great and helpful community, and you’re welcome to be a part of it! Let us know how the parts machine turned out.
Thanks I will let you all know how everything works out.

Also I want you to know that you don't have to be sorry for anything. You were direct and didn't Sugar coat the issue, and you told me how I could improve, strangely enough that is exactly how I prefer to have people give their feed back to me. It is nicer and also ffar more efficient, and everyone wins. So don't worry I didn't take any offence by what you said at all, infact I am very happy that you told me what you did, the way you did.

So thank you very much.

Reactions: TheBasement

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Ok so this is what the screen on the parts machine looks like.
20231213_114613.jpg

The powerbook seems to be trying to power up. It chimes and lights up the screen, but I can't tell if I am missing something else, the apple logo doesn't show up. The screen is looking really good. The rubber like substance is melting 🫠. The trackball ring is not able to latch into place, the tabs that hold it in place seem to be broken. The bezel around the keyboard seems to be mostly OK except for the big crack in the top left corner. The screen assembly mostly seems ok, but I will look closer at the damage to see it it is worth repairing. The brightness controll work perfectly. The battery seems to be looking good, I am currently seeing if it is able to charge at all my some miracle. I can't hear the SCSI HDD spin up, so I will need to be looking into that. I will keep you all posted. 😁

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Looks like a good screen. Pop the screen on the other machine, or try the Hdd from that machine in this one.
Ok I will, I may end up having to do quite a bit of playing around with it to get it going nicely, but I think that I am on the right track.

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
I will post an update tomorrow, letting you all know how it goes. Also cam I ask why the apple login might not be showing up?

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
That means you have a screen issue or a logic issue bottom-side. If you had a bad hard drive that was holding up the SCSI bus, you would at least be getting a cursor.
Ok so what would you suggest I do to troubleshoot moving forward?