128k/512k/Plus Logic-to-Analog connector

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Anyone know what these... molexesque connectors are called? I'm trying to build a test bench and want a long logic-to-analog cable.

I was gonna use female-to-female molex ends to make a really long cable, but then I saw that there is this fuse on that cable, and I just don't wanna mess about with that.

I know I can solve this by splicing a long end, but I'd rather not. I've decided to just make a male-to-female extender, but for the life of my can't identify this extender. I don't think it's molex, even though it has an ~4mm pitch.

Anyone know what it's called?

Thanks!

Katrina.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
EDIT: I missed you were asking about the older Macs. Those use a Molex KK 2139 9-position connector.

This is the info for the connector on the newer compacts:

Molex Mini-Fit Jr. 14-position

It's the same connector ATX power supplies use. So you can just use a pre-made ATX extension and cut-off (or not) the extra pins.

Last edited:

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Yeah, I have those on the way for me SE/30. Unfortunately, for the Mac Plus it looks very proprietary. I remembered I have a heavily rusted (sounds like a maraca when you lift it up) Mac Plus I still gotta open, though, so I'll probably use that one for parts, and voila... I'll be able to make my extension cable!

Plus, this way, it will have two of those 5 amp fuses in series for extra super protection if one of the ancien
t fuses fails.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
Unfortunately, for the Mac Plus it looks very proprietary.
Not proprietary at all. It's the Molex KK 2139 9-position connector linked above. Pretty typical, just not as ubiquitous as the Mini-Fit Jr. They were used on the Lisa too. You'll need to get KK pins and a crimper to make your own cable though.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I was grabbing another extension today and realized I had made one for the older compacts a while back :)
IMG_3474.jpeg

Douglas

New Tinkerer
Feb 10, 2023
Yeah, those connectors you're describing sound a lot like JST connectors. They're all over the place in electronics and have a pitch that matches what you're talking about.