1st Post: Just Fired Up My G4 Mirror Door For The First Time In Years

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
Hey folks! I'm a newbie to this board, but I've been using Macs since 1988, when I started taking classes at the School Of Visual Arts in NYC

I booted up my G4 mirror door Mac for the first time in 5, possibly 6, years. It’s been in storage since I moved in 2019. I have arcade files on here-with the right emulator I MIGHT be able to run them in OSX. The question is-what would I use to open them? Could they run on Yosemite?

Saul

G4-1.jpg
G4-2.jpg
games.jpg

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
I can't help with your question, but oh man, that reminds me there's a MDD in the corner of the family room downstairs that hasn't been powered up in 15 years at least..... I wonder....

Reactions: 2112st

akator

New Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2023
For Tiger and Leopard I would suggest MacMAME and the correct MAME ROMset for the version of MacMAME you are using.

In this case, search for MAME 0.103u2 ROMset and Samples. You might also try searching for MacMAME ROMs, there might be something out there.

Attachments

• MacMAME-0.103u2.dmg.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 61

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Thanks Yoda & akator!

I was told I could try an old version of OpenEmu.

I have a 2011 27" iMac (which I'm on now) and I would love to run these same games on here. It uses Yosemite.

Daxeria

New Tinkerer
Mar 16, 2022
Those actually aren't arcade machine ROMs. They're arcade game parodies in the format of interactive fiction, also known as text adventures. The .z5 files are Inform (Z-Machine) games, and the .gam files are TADS games. You need an interpreter like Zoom to play them.

If you're unfamiliar with the conventions of interactive fiction, here are the basics.

Most of the adaptations are very simple, but Centipede is a fleshed-out story that's a challenge to actually win. It also happens to be playable online, directly in-browser.

(One particularly memorable parody, Pac-Man, is missing from your folder. It's attached to this reply.)

Attachments

• if_pacman.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 94

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Welcome to the asylum. Re: your MDD, I would consider updating OS X Tiger to 10.4.11. I'm pretty sure the Macintosh Garden has the Combo Updater file posted for download. If the PRAM battery is still original, even though it may be working, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and either buy one of the CR2032 adapters, like the meowToast made by @GeekyBit and use a CR2032 coin cell, or get a new 1/2 AA PRAM battery.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Welcome to the asylum. Re: your MDD, I would consider updating OS X Tiger to 10.4.11. I'm pretty sure the Macintosh Garden has the Combo Updater file posted for download. If the PRAM battery is still original, even though it may be working, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and either buy one of the CR2032 adapters, like the meowToast made by @GeekyBit and use a CR2032 coin cell, or get a new 1/2 AA PRAM battery.

Hello!

The PRAM battery in it is relatively new, as I replaced it a number of years ago. I do have eventual plans for this machine, but I'm a bit swamped at the moment.

Gheem

New Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2023
You could also dual boot using sorbet leopard, I have 2 MDDs and 10.5.9(unofficial) works great. You can find it at the MAC garden……like everything else….hehe have fun!