343S0120 (0120) voltage monitor IC (LC, Color Classic, Classic II) replacement

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
I've been distracted from EGRET woes by that small chip next to it…

I've since figured out the pinout and characteristics, and found a potential candidate for replacement. But of course it doesn't have the same pinout, and of course it's also SOIC-8, because the smaller TSSOP version is actually kind of vaporware. So I started designing a small PCB to interpose it…

Reactions: eric

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
I got a routed PCB, but so tiny it'd probably wouldn't be accepted by fabs… luckily it seems possible to do your own cuts for castellated PCBs, which means panelizing them manually would make them larger and probably easier to pass the validation. I should try that soon.
Screenshot_20231210_044809.png

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
I received the PCBs and *finally* some chips, after a 3rd order (1st never shipped, 2nd never arrived…).
Looks promising:
7ee9c63a434ab735.jpg

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
And it's actually not that hard to solder, just needs some flux. Seems to work fine.
If I use RoHS solder for the IC it should be even quite easy to remove it in one piece if needed.

5041b21b45e348bc.jpg

Reactions: RetroViator

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
And it's actually not that hard to solder, just needs some flux. Seems to work fine.
If I use RoHS solder for the IC it should be even quite easy to remove it in one piece if needed.

5041b21b45e348bc.jpg
Impressive work finding a suitable solution! I appreciate those that can take on this level of research and add creativity. Are you planning on posting the details on how to obtain the IC and PCB?

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Impressive work finding a suitable solution! I appreciate those that can take on this level of research and add creativity. Are you planning on posting the details on how to obtain the IC and PCB?
I'll probably sell a few batches first but yeah.

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Well it allows replacing broken chips (they are close to caps usually) with known good chips because they are new chips still in production, not some "new old stock" that possibly got de-soldered from a battery-bombed logic board that might work or not for who knows how long.

ImmortanJoe

New Tinkerer
Mar 9, 2024
Do you have any information on the characteristics available? Even a truth table or something? I'm trying to fault find on a 5200CD with some weird issues stopping it from powering on and I've got no reference for a 0120 to work out if it's behaving normally. Depending on results, any idea when you'd be selling some?

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Do you have any information on the characteristics available? Even a truth table or something? I'm trying to fault find on a 5200CD with some weird issues stopping it from powering on and I've got no reference for a 0120 to work out if it's behaving normally. Depending on results, any idea when you'd be selling some?
The pinout is linked to in the first post.
Basically Vout = max(Vin, Vbatt) (with some threshold effects though) ; /RST OUT is 0 if Vcc < 4.2V or /MR is down ; /PFO is down if PFI < 4V or so.

I've been busy with other stuff, I need to finish the test gear then hopefully I can get some shipped.

ImmortanJoe

New Tinkerer
Mar 9, 2024
The pinout is linked to in the first post.
Basically Vout = max(Vin, Vbatt) (with some threshold effects though) ; /RST OUT is 0 if Vcc < 4.2V or /MR is down ; /PFO is down if PFI < 4V or so.

I've been busy with other stuff, I need to finish the test gear then hopefully I can get some shipped.
Thanks for that. This is actually a really big help. I had the pinout but needed the behaviour because the 0120 does something but I couldn't determine if it was the correct thing under certain conditions.