6100 won't chime with heatsink installed?

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I just finished recapping my 6100's logic board. I also removed the heatsink, applied new thermal paste, and reinstalled the heatsink. It booted fine before doing any of that, but wouldn't chime afterwards. I triple-checked all the new caps, and everything looked good. I then removed the heatsink again to see if I'd damaged the CPU or something. It looked fine. Then I briefly started it up without the heatsink installed...it chimed. Put the heatsink back on, no chime. Take it back off...chime. The heatsink on the 6100 is held on by a metal clip that snaps into holes on the board at all 4 corners as seen here:

PXL_20220805_131546521.jpg

Looking at the back side of the board, there are tiny traces/contacts under each hole where they appear to be intended to contact the metal clip:

PXL_20220805_202730178.png PXL_20220805_205141981.jpg

All four holes have these. When installed, the heatsink clip has continuity with ground, so I'm guessing these are to ground the clip for some reason? The black part of the heatsink doesn't appear to be conductive, and I've confirmed that no part of the heatsink or paste is contacting any pins anywhere. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I thought maybe that clip was shorting something to ground, but it doesn't appear to be touching anything it shouldn't be.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Question - if you rest the heatsink on top without putting the clip on, does it still chime? I have a theory that the CPU itself may have a weak leg somewhere, and the clamping force is making the CPU legs buckle/lose contact.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Question - if you rest the heatsink on top without putting the clip on, does it still chime? I have a theory that the CPU itself may have a weak leg somewhere, and the clamping force is making the CPU legs buckle/lose contact.

Bingo. I removed the clip, set the heatsink on the CPU and it chimed. I then applied light pressure on the center of the heatsink with a fingertip and booted it again...it chimed. I then increased the pressure a little with each attempt and eventually it didn't chime.

I've now bent the legs on the clip a little bit so it doesn't apply as much pressure and I have it chiming with the heatsink clipped on. What should/can I do about this? Leave it alone?

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I'd leave it be - however, eventually it may be worth looking at all the legs under a scope and prodding them with a small plastic spudger tool to see if any move. I believe @Mac84 had to do this to make a daystar PPC card work.

Reactions: Mac84

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Thanks. I have it all put back together and booting into the 8.5 install that was on the HD that came with it. I'd forgotten how hot that CPU ran...heatsink gets quite warm...going to be warmer when I put the DOS card in and there's a 486 sitting right above it :/

Everything I've tried so far seems to be working except the floppy drive (Sony model MPF52A). As soon as I insert any disk into it (even a cleaning disk), the system locks up. I don't hear any noise from the drive either. I wonder if I messed anything up while recapping or if the drive is just bad. I guess I should try to get my hands on another drive to find out...

Reactions: wottle

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
One little trick is to get a 40mm fan - one with a passthrough molex connector on it for power and use the CD drive power cable. These fit perfectly inside the heatsink and do a nice job of keeping them cool.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
One little trick is to get a 40mm fan - one with a passthrough molex connector on it for power and use the CD drive power cable. These fit perfectly inside the heatsink and do a nice job of keeping them cool.

I think I actually have one of those somewhere...

Reactions: retr01

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
In that situation, I'd reflow the CPU pins.

Just flux and hot air.

Reactions: Mac84

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Thanks. I have it all put back together and booting into the 8.5 install that was on the HD that came with it. I'd forgotten how hot that CPU ran...heatsink gets quite warm...going to be warmer when I put the DOS card in and there's a 486 sitting right above it :/

Everything I've tried so far seems to be working except the floppy drive (Sony model MPF52A). As soon as I insert any disk into it (even a cleaning disk), the system locks up. I don't hear any noise from the drive either. I wonder if I messed anything up while recapping or if the drive is just bad. I guess I should try to get my hands on another drive to find out...
Yeah, I got a 6100 and was confused by the tangle of cables for hooking up the monitor, and then I realized it had the DOS compatibility card. It gets hot! Throw a PowerPC 601 with a 486 right across from it, then add incredibly poor airflow!

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
In that situation, I'd reflow the CPU pins.

Just flux and hot air.
So the problem returned where it wouldn't chime with the heatsink installed. I looked at the pins under magnification and prodded them with a plastic spudger...didn't see any move, but it may have been hard to tell. I then applied a thin bead of flux to the CPU pins, masked off surrounding components, and hit the pins with hot air. Now it won't chime at all. I'm going to cry :/

• Sad
Reactions: wottle

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
You could be getting close to a fix. Something in that area is clearly marginal.

Did you clean the flux off? Some types are semi-conductive.

You can also try booting while gently heating different parts of the board.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
You could be getting close to a fix. Something in that area is clearly marginal.

Did you clean the flux off? Some types are semi-conductive.
Yes, I carefully cleaned with IPA (those pins are so fragile) and waited for it to dry thoroughly. Hard to get all of the flux off though since some of it runs under the pins when heated. It took repeated applications of IPA before flux residue stopped running out. I've never tried to reflow something that small before...was hard to tell if/when the solder melted and I was worried about applying too much heat. I suppose I could try again though since it's not like it's going to get any worse...